TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:11 pm 

I purchased a head job w/ valves and rv/cam for 92 G-10 3-cyl. and 10 deg. timing sproket. It seamed ok untill I needed smog test. It won't pass!!!!. They say it needs more vacumm. Some items changed when new are,,, air cleaner bracket cut out in throttle body. Had to port head and exhaust header and ceramic coated header. After Cat exhaust to 2" w/ larger muffler. O2 sensor 1 wire to 4 wire sensor. Put on vacumm type Cruise Control w/ tank but not enough vacumm to run properly. The engine runs good w/ milage at 55=50mpg 65=42-46mpg and 75=36-42 mpg.Other changes have been done that would have no effect on vacumm. Horsepower on dyno went from factory 65 HP to 40+%
& more HP Upwards to 95 HP,
What do I do???? Please ASAP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:03 am 

Try a stock timing sprocket.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:00 pm 
Island Inbreeder

new head package
but no info on upgrade to piston ..rings. or cylinder wear.?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:03 am 

bored slightly new pistons & rings head was shaved slightly. actually a good restore of engine. I understand it is off just a slight bit last time I had rpm up high to pass but now it needs to go higher and test has a limit 1500 rpm now. I will test vac. again and see for myself. I heard that I might need to put a vac. pump on it.

Attachments:
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG [ 171.23 KIB | Viewed 934 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:15 am 
@ssclown

Did you try putting about a one to eight to one to four ratio of methyl hydrate to gasoline in your tank before going through emissions testing? You can experiment by using increasingly greater concentrations of methyl hydrate to gasoline until your car starts to run terrible (way too lean, methyl hydrate contains oxygen) then back off the concentration until the car is running well enough to drive to the emissiions test.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:29 pm 

Wait a minute. By just adding an "RV" camshaft and a ported head and such, you are now pumping out 95 horsepower out of this thing? Stock horsepower was something like 55, and to almost double that isn't going to be easy on a 3 cylinder engine.

Now, RV cams, as I understand, are geared more towards low-end power for moving a big, giant RV. Typically, that means less valve overlap, and more idle vacuum.

Depending on the camshaft specs, if they are anywhere near stock, a lack of vacuum can be caused by improper camshaft timing. I'd check into that first. Otherwise, insufficient spark advance can cause the same thing.

I didn't know emissions testing checked for engine vacuum. That's one of the nice things about Minnesota, where we don't have to worry about that stuff. Idaho is also of higher elevation, so naturally, there is going to be a bit less vacuum. Did they give you any other data? NOx emissions, CO2 emissions, etc?

A vacuum pump, as you describe, pulls vacuum on the crankcase to get the rings to seal better, not to increase manifold vacuum.