TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: REAR WIPER MOTORS
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:25 pm 

I was looking around but couldn't find an exact answer
but WILL a 4-door hatch rear wiper motor and arm fit the 2-door hatch?

It seems obvious, but not quite sure.
Please help.

And thanks.

Post subject: Re: REAR WIPER MOTORS
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 pm 

I installed a 4 door Metro wiper assembly on my 2 door base Metro. The 2 door originally had a plastic plug covering the hole as it was not equipped with a wiper from the factory. . The mounting spots for the wiper motor assembly are the same in the metal hatch, but because the hatch glass is more sloped in the 2 door vs. the more upright 4 door hatch, the wiper shaft was not quite centered in the glass hole. It still worked with a bit of clearance, but the rubber seal that fills the gap in the hole over the wiper shaft will not fit as well as it should.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:52 am 

Hey, thanks for the info. I seen a 4 door and a 2 door metro w/ rear wiper at the local salvage yard, but the 2 dr. wiper arm was bent, and I do believe the rubber seal is still good.

suzukitom wrote:
.......the wiper shaft was not quite centered in the glass hole. It still worked with a bit of clearance, but the rubber seal that fills the gap in the hole over the wiper shaft will not fit as well as it should.

So if im reading this right, your saying that the 2 dr rubber seal wont work with the 4 dr wiper shalf?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:06 am 

It's been quite a while since I looked at the inside of both the 2 or 4 door hatches but I believe the mounting points are just stamped steel add ons to the basic hatch structure. They may be slightly different in depth, length or angle. If you have access to both, take measurements. You may be able to compensate by twisting the metal mounts or you may find that one hatch has bent mounting points causing the difference. The motor itself and the arms are probably identical but part numbers will tell you that at Autozone or where-ever. You may be able to just set them beside each other if you have both available and just look at the differences.

It would be good if a thread like this could determine once and for all where the differences are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:14 pm 

I agree with top down@-40 that the wiper bracket angles were probably responsible for the off center position of the wiper shaft in the 4 door installation vs. 2 door. For me, it was easier to just enlarge the the rubber seal hole a bit to make it fit without stressing the shaft too much or the glass. (remember that the tip of the wiper shaft sticking out of the hole can be more readily observed as being noticeably off center, while the base of the shaft passing through the glass hole appears only slightly off center.)

I agree that bending the brackets a bit (or adding a spacer) in order to center-align the shaft in the hole would have probably been a better solution than modifying the rubber seal.

If the wiper assemblies are indeed the same for both 2 and 4 door, and the sheet metal wiper mounting brackets are present in all hatches, whether or not factory equipped with a rear wiper, this suggests that Suzuki may have used different thickness of spacers between the 2 door and 4 door hatch cars. Since I still have this 4 door wiper installed in a 2 door hatch, I'll have a look at the brackets later tonight and repost.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:50 am 

Ok so I did auto salvage diving this past weekend, found rear wiper assembly for both 2 and 4 door. There was a few things I ran into. like for instance the equipped ones has a washer thingy wielded to the bracket that you bolt the wiper arm to, and on top of that you would have to drill out a hole for the....awww crap I suck at this, I'll just add pics!!! :STFU:

But HECK YES! :twisted: :yeahyeah I finally have a rear wiper, but no spray... :study: :WTF: