TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Timing belt too tight ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:22 pm 

Took my '89 1.3 GTi in and decided to change the timing belt while apart.........
Mechanic says he is feeling that the new belt is tighter than he feels comfortable with.
Normal ??
Comment ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:29 pm 
Island Inbreeder

not good.!
Timing belt to tight could make front crank & cam seal failure and failure to adjustment roller bearing
along with premiture T-belt failure

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:24 pm 
Make love, not moderators

almcphee wrote:
Took my '89 1.3 GTi in and decided to change the timing belt while apart.........
Mechanic says he is feeling that the new belt is tighter than he feels comfortable with.
Normal ??
Comment ?

How did he tension it? When you install a new belt, your supposed to roll the engine over TWICE with a ratchet and let the timing belt tensioner float a bit so it can automatically remove any slack and tension the belt, afterwards you cinch down the bolt that holds the tensioner to the water pump so it stays locked in place.

If that wasn't done and the belt was tightend by hand, then you run the risk of breaking the belt or premature failure of the tensioner bearing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:57 am 

My take on timing belts...
We run aluminum heads and blocks.
The expansion rate of aluminum is twice that of steel or iron.
I will install a new timing belt and idler pulley cold engine as per the factory manual.
I will run the engine until it gets up to operating temperature.
At this point I will retention the timing belt using the spring tension only.
I get over 60,000 miles on the belts and seals this way.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:01 pm 

I got over 90k on my G10's Goodyear timing belt by just going by feel. The new cam and crank seals that were installed around this time never needed to be touched, and that went another 4k miles until the car rusted into 2 pieces. I've seen too many goodyear timing belts go bad in short order to be a fan of them. The Gates belts continue to serve me well.

There's a lot of opinion out there on timing belt tension, and one must also factor in the method of which it is checked. I say to make it tight enough to where it doesn't flutter around at various RPM, and not much tighter than beyond that. Yes, I will often run an engine with all the covers off just to look at how the belt flops around.