TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:19 pm 

OK... 1997 Chevy/Geo Metro 1.0 liter 3 cylinder... valve cover getting full of oil when driving fast and steady down the freeway and pouring oil out the exhaust in lovely plumes of blue-grey smoke...

I've been reading all over the place about oil restrictors and check valves.

1. Are they the same part or two different parts?

2. Where is a good place to get them?

3. Am I missing anything?

Just rebuilt the rings and gaskets and bearings, so it shouldn't be anything to do with any of that, nor is it the ol' "wrong size drain holes in head gasket" issue, because it happened with the old gasket too.

Here are some pictures; don't worry, this is pre-cleaning and pre-gasket-replacement, but... anybody see a check valve or oil restrictor in there?!?

Any help is very much appreciated... had this issue for a year or so before the rebuild and just let the engine run low on oil... which in retrospect was probably rather... dumb. I'd like to make amends with my car and let it not be thirsty anymore. :'(

Thanks!

- Gabriel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:50 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Wow ok first off
Hi Jesus
......wait...............
....................... WHAT MA?
.................................( no I can't come out of the basement right now...I talking to Jesus on TEAMSWIFT I know it dinner time .......ok GEEEEESE)
Ok look Jesus I got to go wash up
it not your check valve ..but you knew that already...is this some kind of test.?
could you do a compression test warm post your results Thanks.......jv&s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:14 pm 

How do you mean that the valve cover is getting full of oil? On the inside? Outside? Can you see with X-ray vision that it is filling with oil inside?

I find that most overhead cam engines do have some kind of restriction to the oil supply to the head(s), whether it be via a small hole in the head gasket or an actual restrictor device.

In the G10 engine, it seems to be more of a check valve than a restrictor, if memory serves me right. Its job is to keep oil at the cam bearings and lifters after engine shut-down in my opinion and as memory serves.

In either case, the relatively tight tolerances of the cam journals *should* restrict flow enough to where it will not FILL the valve cover. The oil return passages should easily be able to out-flow the oil supply.

And I need to ask this because I don't know you, nor have any idea of your level of skill and knowledge about internal combustion piston engines. Are you SURE you installed the rings properly? Were they upside down? Were the piston ring gaps staggered properly? Did you glaze break the cylinders before stuffing the pistons and rings in there? Did your piston ring compressor go small enough to squeeze such small pistons into an engine?

Jesus -IS- Lord.