TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:54 pm 

I took my car to my mechanic to change the seals and he accidentally broke the "gear selector arm"(little arm on the shifter shaft inside gearbox) Took it to a machine shop for welding but they said it can't be done. Can steel epoxy be used to repair? Where can I source a replacement part? Pic will be added shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:25 am 

I would not epoxy anything inside a gear box with a lot of moving parts. You are asking for busted up case and all the inside parts broken.
Try this place http://www.amayama.com/

They seem to have almost everything available . Never bought anything from them but someone on here might and can let us know how transaction went.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:53 am 

I've dealt with Amayama. They are good to deal with but you must know the part number you need. They don't do any searching for you. You order the part number you supply and they let you know if they can get it.

I haven't had a bad transaction with them and although they couldn't get some parts I was looking for, they got most. To summarize, If they can't get it, you probably need to look at used.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:38 am 

Thanks for the input so far. My question is, does the swift gs have same the same part (that I need) of the gearbox (not the gears/ ratios) as the swift gti? Im in need of a replacement badly, new or used. Does anyone know the part number for this? Is it called (or is it a part of) the main shift rail? See pic here.

Attachments:
gearbox needed part.jpg
gearbox needed part.jpg [ 76.76 KIB | Viewed 3784 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:07 pm 

Gear shift and select lever is what it is called in the fsm. You have to really work at breaking that part. He probably used a mini sledge from the access point before shifting into to neutral. In neutral it will slide right out. He probably bent the interlock plate that surrounds it as well. What were you having fixed, shift seal? You will have to look for a part number. Is the shaft broken also. I think it should be one piece. I am going off mk2 components, so I am not really sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:34 pm 

I may have acess to a swift gs gearbox soon. Do the suzuki g series gearboxes share the same internals? Gears may be different i know. Does anyone know the part number? Need help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:12 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the internals except the differential should be the same.

there is an external difference in that the gt case has an extra mounting lug on the bell to accomodate a torque arm that helps keep the transmission from spinning on the engine.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:03 am 

I've found a replacement part, but the shaft refuses to move up and down freely. The gears can be selected but very rough. Moving the gearshift lever side to side in the car is very rough. Can anyone shed some light on this plz? What can I do to get it to move smoothly?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:12 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Your man probably bent the shifter forks inside the transmission when he broke that other part.

It would take EXTREME force to snap the selector the way he did, and in the process he would have easily bent a shifter fork when it snapped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:07 pm 

How do I fix this? Do bent forks have an effect on moving the gearstick left and right? Need help!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:08 am 

There are three sets of shifter forks that line up when in neutral that the shift selector and shift bar go through. When you shift the selector can go left and up, left and down, up and down, and right and up, and right and down. Hence a 5 speed with reverse. As above what was he working on? The only way I can think he broke the shift forks is if he pound over on the shift bar from the access port when the car was out of neutral. The shift forks are locked in place and only should go up or down not right and left. When you put pressure on them left or right either you will bend the forks that go around the input shaft or counter shaft, or you will bend the support bars that they center on, or both. The good news is only one set is probably damage.

I would first visually make sure that through the access port (three screws, on bottom, oil will pour out, only do if you don't get left and right movement and feel that the little arm is bent and impeading movement) and through the arm stabalizer port (four screws, it sits on top, do this one first) that shift selector and shift bar are moving how they should be when someone shift. The bar should be able to go left and right freely and then you can see how easily each of the three shift forks can go up and down. More than likely you will have to pull the transmission and rebuild. Or swap out the gearbox.

This is two of the three (reverse and 5th are not here), but you should the idea of how they move and what could get damaged.

You can see they are held in place by spring pins.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:10 pm 

He was changing the gearbox seals. But somehow broke the gearshift selector arm. If necessary, what do I need to rebuild the gearbox? (hope it doesn't come to this) :cry: Thanks for input so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:11 pm 

Get yourself a spare used gearbox and save yourself the hassle..

And most importantly, don't let the dumb-ass who broke your box changing seals do the transmission swap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:02 pm 

Yeah you have to move the shift bar over to pull the other rod out that goes through the seal. However as above if it is not in neutral one of the shifter forks will be blocking the passage. You definitely should see which one of the three is messed up before taking it apart. Since it will be visible from above. You won't get a lot of leverage, but you can lightly tap down on the one that is up or down. Then try shifting it up or down back into the neutral position. Down will be the opposite of the direction of force that he hit it from.
LIGHTLY
I second these, especially the second one. However, first you should get a free gearbox out of it.
TheINCRide wrote:
Get yourself a spare used gearbox and save yourself the hassle..

And most importantly, don't let the dumb-ass who broke your box changing seals do the transmission swap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:41 pm 

So you are suggesting that one of the three shifter forks is bent in the way causing the roughness in shaft moving up and down? If there's a bent fork can it be unbent? The only gearbox I May have access to is from a swift gs. Right now the mechanic plans to remove gearbox and have a machinist polish/clean/grind away any restriction to make the shaft move up and down freely. Should I stop him? Need answers asap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:38 pm 

Yes stop him. That is a half-assed repair.

Shifter forks cannot be unbent without breaking them.

A GS trans will work perfectly fine. The gear ratios might be slightly different but it'll work just fine otherwise. You MAY have to check the speedo connection. On a 98 GT I am not sure if it is still a cable or electronic as we never got the 95 and up GT's in north america.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:18 pm 

This was not a fix for a bent shaft or broken shaft. What I suggest above is just to see if it was wedged or slightly misaligned before proceeding to the next step.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:48 am 

Thanks for the input guys. I update after I see mechanic today. By the way, can the gears and diff from a gti swap over to the GS gearbox?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:02 pm 

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 am 

Gearbox is sorted now. Got a replacement shaft in there now. One minor issue is 3rd gear engagement is kinda stiff, but getting better with time. Just thought I should conclude the thread. 8)