TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:58 pm 

I have a 2000 Swift with a 4 cylinder/automatic transmission. I need to replace the muffler. I incorrectly ordered a muffler for a 2000 Metro. It was the same size, but didn't fit. The muffler brackets don't match up. The attachment arrangement is exactly the opposite. For the Swift, the right side of the muffler has two mounting points and the left has one. The front right mount is with a bolt. The other two are rubber mounts. The Metro is exactly the opposite. I have researched and found that the Bosal 292-049 seems to be the correct replacement part, but I can't find a supplier that has that part in stock.

Can anyone help me with a muffler part number that will work on my Swift?

What suggestions does anyone have to replace the muffler. I don't want a loud exhaust sound. I want the car to run quietly.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:10 pm 

My 2000 2 door hatch Chev Metro muffler has 2 attachment points on the right side, and one on the left side. It uses a Walker 21197. It should be the same for the Suzuki Swift. Are you sure you are not looking at the muffler upside down?

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/walker-exhaust-systems/e-catalog-lookup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 pm 

My muffler man said that it would not work. There was no place to bolt it in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:05 pm 

The 2000 Swift and 2000 Metro hatchbacks are identical and were built in the same assembly plant.

As they are identical cars mechanically, they use the same replacement mufflers. There are 2 right side mounts and 1 left side mount on the muffler.

All 3 attachment points are to rubber isolators that are bolted to the car body.

The 2 rear hooks pass into the lower hole in their respective rubber isolators. On the right front of the muffler, there is either a hook or a metal loop. If it has a loop, a long bolt,washer and nut are used to attach through the lower hole of its corresponding rubber isolator.

You can decide whether you want to use the Bosal or the Walker. They should have the same 3 mount location and orientations.

Below is an image showing correct orientation. Most parts websites display incorrect inverted photos.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:10 pm 

You are 100% correct. I reordered that muffler, showed the muffler man how it went on, and the car is fixed. We put a straight pipe in replacing the resonator. The car works perfectly, and is very quiet. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Now, for a bluetooth radio and tinted windows. I would like to put a cruise control on the car. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:52 pm 

I'm glad it worked out! :) Good luck on the other items on your 'to-do'list. You may find some good information on this site (or on geometroforum.com) about these topics.