TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rebuttal needed please.
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 am 

Hi there, I own a Triumph Spitfire and on another forum I lauded my three Suzukis as I almost never have any problems with them. Someone posted this and I need your help for a response. Can anyone help? Thanks.

"Frederick, I have owned three Geo's. I got everyone of them for a song because owners had despaired at the worn out lack of power (I use that term loosely) and had then put in ten/forty. I bought for cheap because they all had burned valves from the too heavy oil.
So, and I ask this with no judgmental intent or prejudice, what was the engineering that had valve springs so weak that they couldn't work against the marginally higher viscosity to close the valves properly?
I installed rebuilt motors in them and ran the proper light weight oil. One of them trashed the crank as I was decelerating off of I-5 in North Seattle. Another overheated and melted the button that the rebuilder had put just under the manifold. The motor started to smoke and gasp and I never saw any indication of a problem until it all went to hell. The motor rebuilder didn't want to hear about the problem until I had it towed to his facility. I demonstrated that there was no issue with the cooling system and before his very eyes the head got nearly red hot and the pistons seized in their bores. He refunded my money. The third one was the later body style. I got it for a song because of body issues and general neglect. After fixing it up I quickly sold it.
The crank trasher was on average as powerful as the other two (with fresh engines). I found that I could keep up with traffic if I went into corners hot and kept the rev's up so as to have some power exiting the turn (90 degree stop light intersections, etc.)
Please, do not presume to tell me that I am at fault. I am a stickler for maintenance and I never over heat or over rev. As well, I have a Volvo 850. No turbo. It has about 400,000 miles on it and I drive it pretty hard because of my experience and competitive nature. It is just now, after 97,000 on a used engine starting to smoke on cold start up. Every Monday I drive it 348 miles at seventy five with bursts up to ninety. It gets 26mpg at that speed and has never so much as burped in it's performance.
Back when Suzuki Samurai's first came on the scene I had a friend who worked just down the road from the dealership I worked at. He told me that on PDI drives, the motor did not have enough power to hold speed in top gear. I heard anecdotally that it got better after break in.
Ah, but this is just my experience. If your is; and does seem to be, more positive regarding the brand then so be it."

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:14 am 
Suzuki Elder

frederick,

i would reply that the problem using heavier weight oil comes from the fact that the passageway hole to the hydraulic lifters doesn't allow oil in to pump up the lifters correctly. that's what burns valves. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:32 am 
Island Inbreeder

Fredrick
I know the guy Tell him j,v&s says Hi .........cricket cricket cricket

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:02 am 

Manutea,

You have an entirely different experience, and are a stickler for detail and correct maintenance.
He contradicts himself several times and I wouldn't bother replying.
It's like religion.
He has his opinion, you have yours, and no matter how hard you try to convince him, he's not going to budge.

Regards.

BTW Thanks for those aluminum latches you crafted for the Wife's convertible so many years ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:00 am 

Sounds to me like another "its a cheap car why would I have to spend any time or money maintaining it" kind of guy. I've been using 20-50W oil in these engines for past 25 years and never had a valve problem. If anything these cars will never overheat if everything is working correctly and that's in Phoenix in the middle of the summer with A/C on full blast in heavy traffic. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about after racking on at least 3/4 to a million miles with them , from NA Mk1 to 2003 Aerio and every other model in between.
Only problem these cars ever had are their owners. They are the most reliable , best engineered and cheapest transportation ever sold if you don't abuse them and use them as they were meant to be used.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:26 pm 

I've never had overheating or valve problems.. probably the opposite with any of the three cylinder cars I've owned.. I've always used 5w-30 or 10w-30 synthetic. The only oil loss I've ever experienced between oil changes has been due to eventual crank front seal, cam seal, or distributor o-ring wear.

The closest I've ever gotten to a overheating state was when a fan belt snapped about 10 km. from home on the highway. Dropping the speed from 110 to 80 km/h reduced temperature enough for the coolant temp gauge to return to indicate a normal range. The electric fan only turned on briefly after I came to a stop. No ill effects resulted from this ''air cooled'' experience.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:04 pm 
Make love, not moderators

How does aluminum ' before his very eyes the head got nearly red hot and the pistons seized in their bores'

get red hot while running?

He's talking out of his ass..

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:27 pm 

Iron steel brass stainless are all red metals. They all glow red before getting to there melting point
Aluminum, titanium are white metals. They don't change color when near there melting point.
So having a glowing red engine makes no sense to me. An exhaust manifold glowing red I could
believe. If the exhaust manifold was glowing red the exhaust system was clogged.
I will bet money that this guy put a new engine on an old oil fowled exhaust system.
At least he should have installed a new cat.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.