TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:52 pm 

Yes i said it, it wont start after a rainy day. It is a ,94 suzuki swift 3 cyl. It was working fine, used it every day to work. Then i didnt use it daily but i warm her up every week. One day i went to turn it on, and the fuel pump relay sounded weird, like it didnt fully clicked. I know it turns on when you switch to ign, stays on for a few seconds then shuts off with a loud click. Mine kinda rattled. I had to turn the key several times to get that clicking sound. Anyways, the thing is that the car wont start if it rained the night after, the fuel pump relay will act as described avobe, and it will require to leave the switch in on position for a while before trying to start it, or it wont turn on. But after a nice warm up the fuel pump relay will work and sound normally and the car will work normal too. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:00 pm 

Possibilities:
(1) loose electrical connection to relay (probably a ground)
(2) battery may need to be charged.
(3)Pump relay is starting to fail and needs to be replaced.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:26 pm 

I did chnged the fuel pump relay, and i saw a bit of corrosion in the main relay connections, so i cut the main relay connector and soldered a new relay harness and placed a new relay. Also checked the ECM grounds and they were good, plus the chassis ground that comes from the battery was clean and relocated so it could be tighten more firmly. I also grounded the swift in a couple of more spots just in case it needed more ground. But nothing seems to cure the problem. Funny thing is that when the inside temp of the car is over, i'd say 90 degrees, it will start up and work like a charm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:55 pm 

The sequence of sounds you hear when turning the ignition key is (1) the fuel pump relay under the hood energizing with a click, (2) followed by 3 seconds of the fuel pump humming (inside the gas tank) priming the fuel lines/injector, followed by (3) a click as the fuel pump relay de-energizes.

When you say it does not sound right after a rain, which of the three sounds listed above is different than normal? If it is sound (2) that sounds different, then the fuel pump might be at fault. Also have you checked that your battery is in good condition? It is possible that low voltage may contributing to this issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:22 pm 

The third one, some times the pump runs longer than 3 seconds, it may even run for 10 seconds and then when the relay de-energizes it sounds or clicks rapidly. Ill try to record the sound that it makes so you guys can get a better picture. It is extremley weird. If the relay dont click at the final step (3) in a solid way the car wont start.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:11 pm 

Test your ignition coil, I had the same problem on my 87 trans am when it rained and it turned out that the coil would short out when it got wet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:47 pm 

Bought a new - battery terminal cleaned the main ground cable and tighten it. Its is very annoying. Ill try to explain. You leave the car all night and when you are going to start it in the morning the fuel pump relay wont act normally, it will run continuously almost for 10 sec, then it wont just turn off, it will start to flicker very rapidly for like 2-3 seconds. So i have to turn the key to IGN and wait almost 1-2 mins. Then i turn if OFF again and turn to IGN again and now the fuel pump relay will act normally. Then the car will start. Its like some capacitor or something needs to be charged in order for the car to work. :huh: any ideas?