TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:23 pm 

Hey turners have installed a cultus intake on my 94 suzuki swift gti wit a 60mm tb conversion as well but I keep getting a dead spot as I take off and rpm climbing @1500 I get not response from the throttle until maybe 2500rpm then it responds normally the only time it ends if the car is fully warmed up and idles for like approximately for 10mins then it doesn't have that dead spot @ 1500rpm once the car is switched off and I start back it starts again with the dead spot @ 1500rpm ne suggestions tuners would really be appreciated thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:24 am 
Suzuki Elder

that is typical of a 60mm throttle body mod. about the best way to take care of the problem is to use a tom's II eprom in the ecu. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:16 pm 

Sounds like a fueling issue to me, typical of the OBD1 OS on early Suzukis.

I first noticed that issue on my 1st gen Suzuki T3 after installing a Wideband Analog
A/F ratio meter after heavily modifying the stock T3 engine.
I had not nailed it down to a specific mechanical or electronic issue, and attributed
it to the OE operating system electronics.

Best I can figure is that the stock electronics will not provide the necessary
additional fueling that is needed until the engine has been running more than
5 minutes, regardless of operating temperature.

Using the standalone A/F gauge as a reference point for tuning purposes,
I noticed I would not get the additional fueling under load, until the engine
had run for a specified amount of time. And when the engine would be shut off,
I would have to start the procedure over even after reaching operating temp.

Results were consistent, and did not vary. The only way to get that additional
fueling under load, was to let the engine run for a specified amount of time to
reach closed loop operation. I attributed this to the factory electronics and the
only work around I found was to let it run the time.

Very frustrating to want to jump in the car and stomp on it on a relatively
cold engine and get proper fueling, but did not find a work around other
than the time factor using the stock electronics on a modified engine.

I suspect, the way you describe the issue, that this is your problem.
Perhaps T3 ragtops suggestion of toms chip may be your best solution,
if you go that route, please let us know your results.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:43 pm 

Something like this is the whole reason I learned how to tune.

I also have a 94 GT, and had a problem similar to what you and JamalSpelling describe. I don't know if you want to read all this, especially given that I took a lot of wrong turns, but this thread chronicles my journey down this rabbit-hole:

http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55614

I'm not sure if I could confirm that your issue is exactly like mine without looking at the behavior with a wideband O2 gauge, but in my case I'm pretty sure the problem existed before the Cultus intake, I just didn't notice it until I installed the intake and things got much worse. On the wideband the problem looked like this: At first the car simply would not enrich with throttle application until I hit 4500 rpm--the numbers would go leaner and leaner, but at steady throttle or idle closed loop operation would at least keep the ratio at stoichiometric. As I drove the car, I would keep goosing the throttle until enrichment would finally kick in like it was supposed to, lagging behind at first and then finally catching up to throttle input after about 10-20 minutes of driving. It took me forever to figure this out, and it was especially frustrating as I began to tune because I couldn't figure out whether the ECU was picking up the changes I made or not, or know what direction to go until the car settled down and ran correctly.

I suspected that the issue was due to a faulty TPS, but then installed a known good one with no change in the behavior. I learned to live with it until I was experimenting with running code from other GT ECUs that was not associated with the maps. I found that running the code from the I3 EU-spec ECU instantly solved the problem. The problem IS IN THE ECU CODE :shock:

I currently run the I3 code in an I4 Cultus ECU, and I've found as a bonus that the I3 ECU actually supports closed loop operation on the I4 as well if the O2 sensor and wiring is there.

The suggestion to run a Toms II chip (at least one from any source but me) would "fix" your problem but leave you with a constant CEL and forced open loop, likely running you excessively rich at idle and cruise. There was a lot of research that went into the Toms maps, but I haven't gotten great results and customers with setups similar to yours made more power with maps I've developed.

I need to find out whether the I3 code will still run the O2 sensor on an I2 or I6 ECU, because if so, I'll only send I3 code-based chips to I2/I6 ECU customers that will have the problem. I have been lazy on this because I am tired of swapping my ECU out and I have no customers :lol:

The only drawback to running the I3 code in a different ECU is that the O2 sensor, if it fails or becomes disconnected, won't set a CEL. In some ways this is preferable behavior, but then you have no way of knowing if closed loop works without a wideband (where closed loop operation is very distinct).

If you want to install a wideband, I'd rather send you a chip for shipping cost than swap my ecu out for the 400th time, if you'd like to be my guinea pig :D

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216