TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:00 pm 

Can some one tell me where the mass air flow sensor is on a 2001 1.3l 4 cylinder auto swift? If you could post a picture of it that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:49 am 
Suzuki Elder

the 2001 g13bb control set uses a map sensor, not a maf sensor.

the map sensor is mounted on the rubber induction hose.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:34 am 

The sensor on the induction hose is an intake air temperature sensor. The map sensor(that does a similar job to the old maf sensor), is located on the intake of the 98-01 1.3 models.
Perhaps the question here is what's going on that you are needing a maf, or trying to locate it? Tell us what's up, if it's an issue we may be able to help you sort it out.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys, so the map sensor is the one on top, to the right of the throttle body? I was asking because for some reason, when I come to a stop light sometimes, the engine will begin to shake (you can hear the exhaust pipe rattling), and it will either stall, or sometimes it will make a sound like its reving itself and then it goes back to a normal idle. I also noticed sometimes that if I shift it into neutral it will go back to a normal idle once it begins to shake, but not always. Sometimes I can drive all the way to work and it doesn't happen, it seems random. other than that it runs and sounds great. I was told to clean all of the sensors and the throttle body. I went looking for a maf sensor and couldn't find it, then I realized some cars have a map sensor attached to the air filter housing black barrel looking thing, but I replaced mine with a spectre cold air cone filter, and I was worried that I might have thrown out the maf sensor with the stock filter housing by mistake. the throttle body is pretty dirty im going to clean it out today with some crc. I think it could also be a bad 02 sensor, or maybe the throttle position sensor since its right by the throttle body if im not mistaken, so its probably dirty too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:04 pm 

another weird thing about it is when ever it starts to shake and lose power, if I shut it off and start it again it always runs good after that. its got 108k miles, with a brand new starter, alternator, battery, water pump, harmonic balancer, serp belt, timing belt, and fresh fluids. Waiting on a new o2 sensor coming in the mail. Any ideas on what is wrong with it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:41 pm 

If I were to guess, it's an ignition issue. I would remove all the spark plugs and check them very closely for carbon tracking. This will look like a black line coming down the white porcelain part of the plug, where the spark is going instead of straight through to the electrode, causing that cylinder to miss sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:13 pm 
Suzuki Elder

or the crank timing gear is loose and moving around. :huh:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:23 pm 

Agreed. Also common.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 pm 

The harmonic balancer/crank pulley was bad when I got it, had a piece chipped off of it, is the crank timing gear the gear that it bolts onto? would I just need to take it off and torque it back on?
I'll check the spark plugs out too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:49 pm 

replaced all of the spark plugs today, one did have the carbon tracking you described. It seems like it starts stronger now but Im still having the same problem. looking for a floor jack to check the crank sprocket.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:15 pm 

Replace the plug wires or the spark plug boot if it is coil on plug. If it had a carbon track it will just make another on the new spark plug, following the trail on the old wire /boot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:00 pm 

Ya im going to go ahead and replace all of the spark plug wires and boots soon. I put a new o2 sensor on it but that didn't change anything. I finally got a jack and checked out the crank sprocket/gear, it doesn't seem to be loose, but im not sure if the guy I had install the new timing belt on this applied the proper torque to the sprocket bolt, it came off kind of easy. After that I tried to tighten the bolt back by holding the harmonic balancer with a strap wrench, but I could only get it so tight before the strap broke, so its definitely not torqued to the proper spec now. Its still running the same, do you guys think this is my problem? Do you know of any tools I can get to lock the engine in place so I can torque the bolt right? Im considering an impact ratchet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:59 pm 

Lock flexplate tooth with a large flat screwdriver. See diagram below.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm 

replaced all spark plug wires, boots, and ignition coils, no change. I think the catalytic converter is bad/clogged. Took it for a test run engine shook at the light, took the o2 sensor off, took the same drive and had no problem, put it back on and tried again, and it shook and I had to shut off and restart the car. Any thoughts?