TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Won't start when hot....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:54 pm 

So I autocross the sprint turbo exclusively. Not a daily. Last few events been chasing a few gremlins all at once so it's hard to pinpoint exact issues and what problems are associated with what.

Basically, car used to start and run fine. Then a few events ago, after a few runs in the car it wouldn't start. But it would bump start. After the car had cooled down after the event, it started up fine again. Then next event car would start fine. However, halfway through the event it again stopped starting but would with a bump start (although at that event we had a clutch cable issue that caused issues on top of issues). So I pulled the starter since power was getting to the starter but not from it. Turns out while under the car I noticed some loose tranny bolts and a bit of gap between the transmission and block. So tightened and loctite that up. Took out the starter and noticed that it had been rubbing and broke some teeth :oops: Put in a working starter from a spare car and car started up! But again at last autocross this past weekend car wouldn't start after a run or two on course. So I bump started and just left it running the rest of the morning session in between runs (fyi, car drove and handled amazing!). I can't imagine that after one run on course I could have "broken" the starter like prior. I will get under the car and see if the tranny bolts worked their way loose again. I'm getting 12.6 volts on the battery with the car off. I checked wiring to back of the starter to see if it came loose. Seemed fine.

Wonder what else I should check just in case before pulling the starter again? I swapped relays with another one from a running sprint and that works just fine.

Thanks!
Van

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:59 pm 

Unplug the coolant temp sensor. Start the car and then plug the wire connector back in the sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm 
Make love, not moderators

When you say it won't start, is it cranking and won't start or is it not even cranking?

If it isn't cranking, there is a known issue with the starter switch inside the column getting bad contacts and causing this very thing.

I used a simple 12v relay to bypass it in my own car.

Next time it won't crank (if that is the issue) check the voltage at the wire to the starter (while trying to start it) that engages the solenoid (not the big battery cable)