TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:52 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Radiator Support Bent
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:28 pm 

I'm more of an engine guy, never really did much body/frame type work. How would I go about correcting this?

I have an overhead crane, and I thought I might move the car between the upright supports and use some ratchet straps or something to pull it back into shape. Can I just beat the hell out of it until its straight? Should it be cut out and a replacement welded in?

If pounding/pulling/etc does the front of the car need to be in the air or can it be done with the tires on the ground?

Thanks!
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:45 am 

My gti lower bar was bent I hooked a chain to rear tow hook and a tree in my yard to keep my cay from moving. Then hooked a comalong to my lower crossmember and my trailer hitch on my truck. Worked out real good just remember you have to go past where you want it to stay. They will spring back a little.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:57 am 

You can get it somewhat back in shape, but due to it being a hollow tube if it is bad cut it out and weld in a different one. Post a picture.

I had to look up how Bob died thanks to your signature selection.