TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gearbox noise
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:38 pm 

Hi guys, my gti gearbox makes a rattling sound especially engine is cold. The noise goes away when I press the clutch pedal, and when the engine is hot after a drive. Both the clutch release bearing and the input shaft bearing have been recently changed. Any ideas? Im stumped by this.

Post subject: Re: Gearbox noise
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:09 pm 

Something was left loose.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:09 am 

Like what? I need specifics please.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:09 am 

Do you mean pilot bearing or actually the input shaft bearing? If you mean input shaft bearing that opens up a whole lot of possibilities. If you mean pilot bearing and you just completed a clutch replacement:

Installed dead on arrival pilot bearing, pressure plate, or throw out bearing, or wrong part. Did you use red locktite on the flywheel and pressure plate? Did you torque the bolts to proper specs? Stripped out thread on bolts or flywheel. The clutch arm bushings could be worn. Worn engine and transmission mounts. Loose engine and transmission mounts. I'm sure I'm missing a couple other possibilities.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:54 pm 

Thanks for responding. The aftermarket clutch was not replaced recently and im quite sure its the input shaft bearing and seal were changed. After hearimg the noise we (mechanic and I) thought it was comimg from the clutch release bearing so we changed it to a new one, but the noise persists. I stiffened up the rear engine mount a few months ago, but the other two may be worn or wearing out. (this is the only gti my mechanic has ever worked on so.....) Those who know please chime in!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:26 am 

The input shaft bearing requires the entire transmission to be removed and split on a manual transmission. If this is what you mean from memory these are some things that could be rattling around. With the black end cap off you have two hold down nuts that are holding down both the input shaft and counter shaft. I would check the torque on them. There is a small threaded bolt on the one of the rail posts. Inside the casing there is the bolt to hold down the reverse shift stuff, and differential final drive bolts. There are also the retainer springs and retainer bars for the different assemblies. You also want to make sure that the shim plate directly underneath 5th gear assembly is to spec. All these things make more sense after reading through the FSM where a picture is worth a thousand words. I would start by checking all the stuff underneath the black cap starting with the shim spec, the two retaining nuts, and the rail bolt since all these can be checked with it in the vehicle.