TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:49 pm 

So, I bought a Justy II. In fact; it's a Swift with AWD.
I messed up the G13BA engine and bought a G13B engine (technically the same for me).

Apart from all this; I have an issue with the injector. I have made a turbo setup including an AEM piggyback (FIC8) for controlling the ignition, injection and turbo-solenoid.

But; I cannot seem to control the injector like I want to.

For the complete story and a full desciption of almost every action I took so far I want to refer you to a post I made on the AEM forum: http://aemelectronics.com/?q=forum/inje ... -using-tbi
I have also had extensive contact with one of the tech guys at AEM, but he can not really help me, eventually says I should fly the FIC in for inspection. I'm located in the netherlands and inspection costs $75. So I don't even know what the total will be with shipping and how long I have to do without.

I think I'm at my last stop here on this forum to get some good ideas or the golden tip for fixing my problem.

Please let me know if anything is unclear or if you think I didnt try this or that.

THANKS!

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 pm 

I am willing to reward you big time if you hand me the golden ticket for fixing this problem!!! So get ready... let's play!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:07 pm 

I don't know that I've got a golden ticket for anything, but I think it's possible you are having issues in part because you are trying to piggyback on an ECU that is meant to run a substantially different motor with different sensors.

For example, you may want to check out this thread by someone who did a vaguely similar swap, but ran into issues running the ECU associated with the G13BA:

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=59792

He made it work, but his cam sensor looks different than what you did and there were several other tricks...

Here's a more detailed thread on his swap:

http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=60108&p=442510&hilit=swap#p442506

I also don't know if your ECU is OBDII or even if it matters--certainly if you are using a MAP sensor that's a different ball game.

Again, a "Justy" is a pretty different animal than anything we got in the states, but if the ECU code is similar to the code that runs the G10 motors, then, quoting someone who tried to tune the stock (non-turbo) G10 ECU for boost:

Quote:
1) The 95 metro ecu code keeps track of the maximum MAP value seen and uses this as the assumed barometric pressure. Under boost, this makes the ecu think that barometric pressure is higher than it is. It's a good hack for not having a second barometric map sensor for a NA motor, but won't work for a turbo motor.

2) The ecu throws errors if it sees boost.

So, I don't know that this will be that helpful to you, but it might explain some of your problems.

If you can't make it work, and you don't want to run a standalone instead, you could swap in the harness and ECU that actually belongs with the G13B and rule out quite a few issues--you also give up some things, but a bit more is known about what the G13B ecus are doing and they are tuneable using an emulator as well, so between the AEM and having control over the ECU in the first place you should be able to get what you want.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:33 am 

Yes, finally. After months of searching and playing around somebody comes up with some decent information.

You're right, the "pickup-gear" (don't know how to call it) looks quite different from mine. It has some similarities, but it's different tho.

To bad I have to work with what I've got, considering the fact this is what the stock ecu "needs".

AEM said that I got make the FIC work with TBI because it's only "duty cycle manipulation". The weird thing is, that everything does work, I can change the fuel trim in the tables and it does actually give more or less fuel... But I feel that when the pulses come closer together (frequency goes up) that it gets confused and messes up the signal. I believe it has something to do with the way the injector is wired. Normally you would have a signal from the ecu to the injector and then from the injector to 12v+... But both wires go to the ecu...
I think the best way to solve this issue is by using a secondary injector and let the primary injector run solely on the stock ECU and have the secondary come in at boost levels. But I'm not sure how I would go and use a secondary. Don't know what the options are here... Don't have a fuel rail or anything. Do you know anything about making a injector fit easily?

Have you watched the youtube links in the AEM forum post? Do you also see this extra pulse? You can clearly see that it doesnt get that second pulse when bypassing the fic.

The map won't be an issue for me, because I won't have the stock ecu see any boost. But that will be another story considering the fact I am not running it with turbo yet (made a pipe instead of the turbo for now), had some issues with oil feeding the turbo, so that needs sorting out further.

I've paid good money on the FIC, so it would be really hard to let it go and start with something else... As you can understand I hope.

I have bypassed the crank signal as well, I was a bit afraid this signal messes up the injector pulses, but this was not the case. In the end I was only connecting the injector to the fic; nothing else and the problem still persisted :(

Any ideas on different wiring?