TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:40 am 

after car is warm I would park it for 45min come out and drive and it will die wait 5-10 min and it will start but won't rev past 2k-2500 rpm had to kreep it home, when cold runs and starts fine thought it was fuel related injectors wouldn't spray so replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, injector relay, pressure regulator, fuel injector, swapped out map sensor, cleaned grounds on manifold for ecm, cleaned injector resistor on firewall, pulled distributer cap noticed wires wore down to insulation and touching taped up and isolated wires and drove yesterday same thing got warm died, thought crank sensor but not throwing crank sensor code. NO check engine lights on at all and the only code I get is 41 - Ignition Fail-Safe Signal Circuit whenever it dies the injector does not pulse fuel but I have spark driving me crazy any thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:38 pm 

It is very likely an ignition module issue. Does your distributor have a vacuum advance on it? Easy to tell, if it has two small rubber vacuum lines then it is the earlier style ignition. In this case it's often easiest to just buy a rebuilt or used complete distributor and install it.
If it is the newer style with no vacuum advance then it's likely the module, which is located up with the ignition coil on the firewall. Again, a used one would likely work just fine if you can locate one.
I think you posted earlier about dying hot and I was thinking ignition module(also called igniter on imports), with your update it's very very likely to be what's causing your problems.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:55 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the vacuum operated distributor models have a known issue with the module wires breaking their conductors, unseen under the plastic wire insulation from the flexing caused by the slight rotation of the distributor breaker plate induced by the vacuum pots mechanically adjusting the timing.

a new module fixes that issue.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II