TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: no spark too
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 am 

HI -I have a 1.3 litre 1991 four door swift. The car died suddenly on the road. no spark. The camshaft is still turning (looked through oil filler while turning engine over) Coil has 1.2 ohms on primary winding and 15k ohms on secondary wining. no apparent voltage across + and - on the coil when ignition is on (3 red lights on the dash on). Car has a security button which works ok and turns the ignition lights on as normal. Checked IG 20 amp fuse and HTR (not sure what that is). Wires to the coil SEEM ok. Do they go back to the dizzy inductor thing? (round metal that rotates with induction lugs on them?) Dizzy cap looks all good. Checked impedance of coil high tension wire that goes to the middle of the distributor -all good. Where to from here. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: no spark too
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:48 pm 

Any sign of spark at the distributor end of the coil wire when cranking the motor over?
If not, swap in one of the spark plug wires and see if you get a spark off the spark plug boot.
If not, the problem is either the coil or somewhere "upstream" from there.
Did you visually check the IG 20 amp fuse or use volt meter to check resistance? You could try swapping it with another IG 20 amp fuse in the block.
Double check the wire harness that is screwed to the base of the intake manifold (facing the firewall). if it's loose or disconnected, the head will not be properly grounded tor the spark plugs.
Sometimes, a connection on the back side of the fuse block can oxidize, creating resistance - and heat - which can scorch and discolor the plastic base around the area where the fuse plugs into it.

My rigs are USA vintage '93 with a 10G motor so I don't know anything about the security button you mentioned. Hopefully someone else here is better versed in diagnosing your ignition system issue.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:12 am 

thanks so much G whiz -I have some things to do! I will use the ohms to check the fuses. Thanks so much

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:28 am 

I've had to replace 4 or 5 coils over the years.
They can and do burn out from time to time.

Regarding the voltage across + and - terminals on the coil...
You're not going to see a constant 12 volts on the (+) terminal of the coil.
Instead, you will see the voltage pulse from ground (0 volts) to 12 volts on the (+) connection when the sensor in the distributor sends a signal to "the system" (the ECU/igniter) that it's time for one of the spark plugs to fire.
Obviously, the motor has to be turning over in order for that to happen although you could always use JV&S's technique in the other "no spark" thread if you don't have someone to crank the motor over while you're under the hood.

The coil is simply a step-up voltage transformer as opposed to the transformers in your home electronics that take a high voltage from a wall outlet and generates 5 volts, 9 volts, or whatever other voltage is needed to power the particular device that it's in.

When the voltage jumps to 12 volts on the (+) terminal for that fraction of a second, it creates a current that flows through the low voltage winding inside the coil, and that's what generates the high voltage on the secondary winding that the distributor wire connects to.

If you have an old fashioned (non digital) voltmeter, you will see the needle jump every time the 12 volt pulse hits the (+) terminal on the coil as you crank the motor over. If not, the problem is upstream from the coil. So, if your ride has an igniter like I suspect (up in the left corner of the engine compartment near the coil) the problem might be there or possibly in the ignition switch of the steering column - which I would doubt, given how suddenly you lost spark. Again, I'm not that well versed on the Metro/Swift ignition system but this should give you a basic idea of how it works.

It's also possible that there's a break in the wiring somewhere for the distributor sensor which I suspect, sends it's signal the the Engine Control Unit (ECU), which in turn probably sends the "fire the spark plugs!" fignal to the igniter which in turn would pulse the (+) terminal on the coil...

I feel like I'm flailing around on this subject.
Can any other Grizzled Veterans chime in here with more solid information?
Anybody??
Please??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:49 am 

G whizz -thanks so much -I will be back into the dizzy and coil at the weekend. I appreciate every word!