TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: daytime running light
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 am 

New to the forum. I have a 91 Pontiac Firefly. The problem the vehicle is experiencing is a rather annoying daytime running light issue. After taking the car on a drive for say 40 minutes the Headlights (daytime headlights) start to flash on and off. Inside the vehicle the idiot light flashes on and off while this is happening. To me it sounds like a relay heating up. Problem is I can't find the relay, if there is one. Don't want to disconnect them for safety reasons. Has anyone had a similar condition?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:15 pm 

drl resistor is behind lh (drivers side) fender, drl controller is under dash above gas pedal area. or so says my fsm.
I thought there was a controller as well behind the fender? not sure.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:37 am 

I just fixed my DRL issue. At times my DRL's would not work at all. With DRL's working, if I turned headlights on then off,
DRL's would not work after that. So about a week ago my headlights, parking lights, dash lights all stopped working. I could
get high beams to work if I used the passing position, and the DRL's would work at 1st startup.
I replaced the DRL's modual, and the headlight switch. I found a hot connector at where the headlight switch plugged into the main wiring harness. One of the pins at the connector turned the white plastic connector black. White with red tracer wire. I changed out the headlight switch also. Thank god I had another complete steering column. New headlamp switches on E Bay are going for $300.00. Everything is working as it should. Not sure why the wire got hot, but the guy that worked on this car before I got it was a hack.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am 

common problem on the headlight circuit on these cars. too small of wire, too small of connector, not large enough to handle the amperage load, and then after a few years of use it finally ''burns up''

do a relay mod, take the load off of the factory TINY wires, put the large load thru the relay (and larger wires, of course!)

the mod has been covered here on teamswift, and on geometro forum.

I run hid lights in all my cars, and that usually requires the relay mod, to get them to work properly. one relay for lows, another for highs.

many different ways to wire it up.

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:10 am 

I had a similar issue with my 91 firefly the DRL would not turn on and the brake light on the dash would stay on. Turns out someone had changed the seats and had pinched the wire that comes from the hand brake between the seat bracket and the floor causing it to ground out. So you should check the switch on the hand brake and that wire to make sure it is not grounding.