TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:34 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 am 

Hi Guys.

Having difficulty in finding the cause of a problem with my daughters swift.

If the car is in either 3rd or 4th and we try to accelerate quicker than normally ie on overtaking, the engine cuts out for a split second and returns the car into limp home mode and
no further acceleration is possible if say you are at 60mph. Whenever this happens, the light that is always displayed is the service light and occasionally the Engine Management light comes on
too. Car has been serviced with oem parts.

If the engine is immediately switched off and on again whilst driving, the car returns to its normal mode of driving and normal acceleration is possible. Other than this, the car drives perfectly well though the service light will remain on.

If normal driving is observed whereby no harsh acceleration is being used, the service light comes on after around 20 minutes and will remain on for the rest of the journey. It will come back on within a few minutes if the car engine has been stopped/parked stationary for a short period of time.

This problem has been looked at by Suzuki in Belfast and they have seen first hand this issue but haven't a clue as to what is causing it. They want to bring the car in and swap out components at great expense. I cannot afford to be spending hundreds of pounds on this issue.

Point to note. The car drives perfectly well if the isnt rushed into accelerating away. The lights do not affect the performance of the vehicle. There is no stuttering of the engine etc.

Yesterday I placed a Bluespark tuning box on the car to see if this would resolve the issue but this only accelerated the existing problem whereby even at 30mph in 3rd would bring on the limp home mode.

I would be grateful for any assistance as my local mechanic cannot identify the problem nor can Suzuki.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:29 pm 

As you have a late model Swift, you will have better luck posting at http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/.

This site has mostly members with the first and second gen. Suzuki Swift/Cultus/Barina/Metro chassis.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:28 am 
Make love, not moderators

I'd invest in a code reader they are relatively cheap these days, plug it in and see what computer codes come up..

Take the codes and use google to figure them out..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:08 am 

Thanks. I have purchase one and the code shows P0108 which seems to point to the MAP sensor or EGR Valve. Looks like this will be trial and error.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:44 pm 
Make love, not moderators

I hit some of the local scrap yards and see if you can find a spare map sensor and go that route.. Should save you some money.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:58 am 

Bought a New EGR Valve and MAP Sensor now waiting for it to be fitted for me. Hopefully, one of these parts will resolve this bizarre issue. Thanks.