TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:30 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:14 pm 

So, today, I glanced at my reservoir and noticed it was extremely caked with grime and chunks.
I had my son, so I wasn't able to get some degreaser, and had to do it indoors, so I emptied it out, and filled it halfway with water. Then, I added like 10 pennies (Marbles might have worked easier), and dish soap. Then, I capped it, and shook it like hell. After awhile, I checked the water, and saw a ton of chunks. I dumped it, and repeated the process a few times. After I decided that I got as far as it could with what I had, I rinsed it multiple times until it was clear water, and filled it half and half with coolant.
It didn't clean it spotless, but it definitely cleared out the nasty chunks that were floating in it.

I will be cleaning it better than that, this was just a temporary fix.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am 
A legend in his own mind

Infantree wrote:
So, today, I glanced at my reservoir and noticed it was extremely caked with grime and chunks.
I had my son, so I wasn't able to get some degreaser, and had to do it indoors, so I emptied it out, and filled it halfway with water. Then, I added like 10 pennies (Marbles might have worked easier), and dish soap. Then, I capped it, and shook it like hell. After awhile, I checked the water, and saw a ton of chunks. I dumped it, and repeated the process a few times. After I decided that I got as far as it could with what I had, I rinsed it multiple times until it was clear water, and filled it half and half with coolant.
It didn't clean it spotless, but it definitely cleared out the nasty chunks that were floating in it.

I will be cleaning it better than that, this was just a temporary fix.

Canadians are upset with this suggestion.

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 am 

Yeah, I don't know why nobody much talks about the cleanliness of a cooling system. They get all scungy inside over time; there's nothing you can do about it. Even regular coolant changes don't stop it. That sort of scunge has to interfere with heat transfer.

What I've taken to doing as a universal rule nowadays is to use the old mechanic's trick of cleaning out a cooling system on diesels that had an oil to coolant cooler fail. You get all sorts of oil scunge in the cooling system when that happens, ugly junk that does no good that needs removing. Fix is to put in a quarter cup maybe of low-suds laundry detergent in a cooling system full of water. Drive the car for ten minutes or so and drain. Repeat as necessary. Then flush the system by putting in clean water, running the car until the thermostat opens, and draining the rinse water out. You will need to rinse about four or so times until the water comes out clean. Use the taste test to make sure you've got all the soap out.

There's all sorts of ugliness that comes out of the inside of radiators and heater cores and hoses when you do this. It makes sense to me to do this every couple of years, and at every single major engine repair job. Probably a good idea to do it with every water pump change, too.

Dan White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:49 pm 

Antifreeze/Coolant is toxic so it is a good idea to bring old coolant to a waste facility that will recycle it properly. In Canada many auto parts stores and recycling centers will accept these fluids without cost.