TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:23 am 

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me with an issue with my 1995 Swift 3 door.

I noticed that my hatch was difficult to open today so I checked that the bolts were firmly fastened (I was advised to do this years ago).
Whilst doing this, I noticed that one of the bolts holdong the lock mechanism to the car can't be tightened up, it just keeps rotating around so I believe the thread that the bolt screws into is 'threaded' so it wont tighten up.

Does anyone know a way that I can repair this problem so my hatch will be easier to open, I dont what to break one of my keys in the lock.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
IMAG2184_1.jpeg
IMAG2184_1.jpeg [ 257.4 KIB | Viewed 544 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:22 pm 

The picture appears to be of the lock assembly attached to the rear hatch door itself. There are a total of 5 phillips head screws that thread into the lock through holes in the painted sheet metal of the hatch door. Your picture appears to show a hole after you removed one of two side by side screws. The lock assembly does not usually require periodic adjustment and tightening unless something damaged the door alignment such as a collision.

Usually, the 2 much larger Phillips screws that hold the latch onto the fixed portion of the lower body may require adjustment and tightening. These 2 screws are made of stronger material, but you must still be careful not to damage the screw head by using an incorrect size of Phillips screwdriver.

Going back to your main concern. Examine the screw that you removed. Does the screw have damaged threads, rather than the (female) threads on the lock assembly where the screw is fastened? If so, you can simply replace the screw with a new one, taking care not to over tighten it.