TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:46 am 

Hi and THANK YOU everybody!
I am fortunate to have inherited a 1988 Suzuki Swift with a G13A engine code from my Grandfather. The vehicle is located here on my great-great-grandmother's farm in Sweden! I learned to drive a stick-shift with this big guy when i was little. I have NO experience with carbureted engines but have been reading up here on this cool, radical forum!

(background) 1988 Suzuki Swift 1.3 G13A engine code (possibly with a 1987 engine date???)

-The vehicle sits in the barn 3/4 of the year, often in freezing temperatures as i can only visit Sweden for 90days/year. The other 1/4 of the year it is used, respectfully, as a farm vehicle (pick-up truck.)

-A family member accidently filled up with ethanol and ran it for a while like that. It stopped running for a bit then we diluted the tank with normal gasoline and it is now running 'OK.'

The car has been good to our family for a long time now but i'm afraid it's now having NEW problems:

-At idle the car stumbles around a bit but does not seem to idle too high
-When left at idle it will sputter out/off
-During light acceleration it hesitates/stumbles a bit
-During normal acceleration it hesitates/stumbles a LOT
-At wide-open-throttle it performs like a CHAMPiON! (after a moment of hesitation)

I have checked the Oil, fuel filter, and air filter in addition to a basic visual inspection of the fuel and air/vac. lines but i DON'T know what i am looking for!

Read up on a GREAT post from TeamSwift member Phil N Ed (thank you!) about DiY carburetor Rebuild but as it is for the 1.0 MK1 vehicles i am not shure how much would apply to this G13A.

I am very curious about testing the Fuel Mixture Controll Solenoid (MCS) and have read the great info here about testing the MK1 version, would the same procedures/parameters apply to the G13A vehicle.

When ordering a carb-rebuild kit, any suggestions for what should i be looking for?

I apologize for using the 'i word' so much. i don't want to let my family down.

Thank you for your time!, i will keep on researching here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 am 

HAD to add a picture! :alien:

Attachments:
File comment: carburetor brand/type unknown...
DSCN3665.jpg
DSCN3665.jpg [ 113.47 KIB | Viewed 900 times ]
File comment: The Ride!
DSCN2991.JPG
DSCN2991.JPG [ 118.74 KIB | Viewed 900 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:01 pm 

There are fewer MK1 Swift members on this forum these days, so expertise in carbs may be tough to find, especially since most of the MK1s sold in North America were equipped with 1.0 3 cylinders which may have significant differences at least in their emission-related components. You may want to send a PM to some of the MK1 experts (view posts in the MK1 Naturally Aspirated forum section to research who may be able to help)

I used to own several 1986 MK1 Sprints. One had similar hesitation/stumble which improved after a long highway run.

If you noticed this problem after the ethanol usage, maybe there is residual effect from water that has separated and remaining in the gas tank, or some corrosion related debris that may be blocking some fine fuel passages in the carb.

Good luck!

(PS. I always liked the MK1 for the big hatch opening which as your picture demonstrates, can hold a lot of cargo!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:26 pm 

Thank you for the nice replies!

I have found out that it is a Hitachi thanks to the kind help of teamswift member pacapo (CHECK OUT HIS POSTS!)

Just to eliminate some possiblities i have started the replacement of ALL vacuum lines with new hose, changed the spark plugs, coolant-flush, oil-change, and have ordered a new mechanical fuel pump and filter (for a Suzuki Samurai 1.3l hope it fits :huh: ) in case the problem lies in any of those areas, i am trying to narrow it down as much as possible! i will report back on my progress in case anyone else reads this in the future...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:10 am 

Im wondering if you can use the 2tc corolla carb like Ive been using on my samurai . it eliminates all the electronic junk and about 200 or so vacuum lines, it also runs very well up and down hills with no stalling ( like the webbers)