TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am 

Hello everyone!

First time poster here with a specific problem. Since my Suzuki Swift 1.3 Sedan from 1993 isn't equipped with a rear bearing-hub-assembly, I thought it would have the two pressed bearings setup inside the brake drum. Well it does but it's a bit different. In fact it looks very much like the front wheel bearing. The two rows of bearing balls are held together in one wide outer race (as far as I can tell) and the inner races are pushed from either side in until they make contact in the middle. Inner races have lips that cover the out-looking sides of the bearings. So basically it seems that I have one wide bearing with two rows of bearing balls.

Is this as it should be or has somenone done some repairs at some point over the years? My local parts store doesn't recognize this kind of bearing option at all for a 1993 Swift. It's either the two bearings or the hub assembly. If this is normal, does anyone know where to get the correct bearings online? Is it possible that somenone has installed front bearings in the rear (do the sizes match) or taken bearings from a newer model?

Any help would be appreciated. I already had the drum in my hands but was afraid to take the bearing apart for not knowing if I could but it back together. Unfortunately I don't have measurements of the bearings in the car at the moment but I'm quite sure the brake drums are correct ones and therefore of the correct size.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 pm 

Pictures of what you have would be helpful.

If you have a 1993 Swift sedan, does the drum look like this? The corresponding rear hub/bearing listed is at:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1117310&cc=1271922&jsn=10377&jsn=10377

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 pm 

outer 6204RS Suzuki #0926220069
inner 6205RS Suzuki #0926225061

based on info from rockauto.com and http://monsterfactoryparts.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 am 

I had to put the car back together because It's in use and therefore I don't have pictures of the actual setup. But the bearing looks like the one on this site except without the rubber seals in the end (if they are seals and not just black). One wider bearing with a line going through the middle where the two inner races meet and separate if taken apart.

Like I stated I don't have the hub setup although that might be what I should have on a 1993 Suzuki Swift Sedan. That much I remembered from checking the brakes when I first got the car. The local parts store said if it's not the hub then it's the two bearings and that's all they got. I suppose they might find a matching bearing if I took the old one out but I don't want to do that because the car is in use and it's not certain I could get a new bearing straight from the shelf. I would be happy to order bearings online but then I would need to know the size. It is possible someone has changed parts over the years. It's a 23-year-old car after all and I just got it some months ago.