TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:22 pm 

My 94 Swift starts normally but as I drive it begins to overheat. The fan is not turning, but I get it home the fan begins to work properly. As the car heats up the fan stops working and it begins to overheat again.

Need some help!

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:01 am 

There are many threads about the "coolant fan not working" on this site. I suggest you do some reading.

If your fan only comes on when you are at home, I suggest you never take it out of your driveway.

All electronically controlled components in your car rely on a positive and negative current to work when in the "enable" position. Your fan obviously works so I would suspect the 1 or 2 components in between to be the problem unless you haven't checked the fluid level or antifreeze/coolant level since you bought the car. Wiring your fan directly to the battery seems like a waste of time so I would think that is not the problem. That leaves wiring to or from relays/sensors or the sensors/relays themselves.

I could not afford to pay for shops to fix my cars so I learned about them as I went. You need to do the same. That doesn't mean expect an answer from some website from people who have posted answers to these questions many times over only to be asked again by someone unwilling to spend a few hours themselves going through the database. I've been at this for over 30 years not as a mechanic but as someone who can't afford to pay for a mechanic and don't expect anyone to give me more than a hint to my question.

At this point in my life, I know a fair bit about these cars but I never kid myself about knowing it all. I've spent literally more than a year going through old posts to get to know these cars better after owning one since 2001 but I still don't profess to know everything (only so much you can absorb at one time).

Sorry to be hard on you but you are not in the first 1000 posts asking for help that has already been answered. USE YOUR BRAIN!!!

You want the answer handed to you? Maybe someone else will but it won't help you on the next car you buy.

That's why this site is near death. There are people hear that could answer your question in a heartbeat but there is nothing in it for them (specially when things they have gone into great detail to address have been lost to server swaps over the years).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:11 pm 

Quote:
as I drive it begins to overheat

In order to help you, we need to know how you came to the conclusion that it is overheating? Is it strictly based on your temperature gauge needle nearing the (H)ot mark? Is there steam coming from the engine compartment? Both?

Also, have you checked for proper coolant level in the radiator as well as in the overflow tank?

The engine fan can cycle should be such that it will maintain a constant temperature, and the fan would only come on when the engine exceeds a pre-determined temperature threshold. ( and the fan will also turn off as soon as the temperature drops below a pre determined temperature.) In summer, this cycle ON and OFF time can be quite frequent, especially when stopped in traffic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:31 pm 
Island Inbreeder

because of were the coolant temp switch is for the fan located make sure your not working with low coolant....Or you dont have air bubble large enough for the temp switch to operate improperly
.....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".