TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Norway
Had to park the car now for overhaul and use my spare care instead... 3 problems now:

1)
I now and then had to fill up coolant, more than normal.

Finally found a small leakage, some rust dirt at the location.

On the G13A engine, there is a pipe running alongside the engine. It has to connections in one end: One end goes to the radiator, but there is a smaller pipe welded to it that goes to the heater core in the coupe.

Now, at the other end of the pipe, it runs into the water pump. There is leaking coolant here, also some rust.
Leakage is around the pipe and where it enters the water pump.

Any hints of how to fix it? What parts do I need to get hold of?

Have parked the car for restoration, other issues are:

-Upper door hinge has no support in the body, there is a 3x3cm hole...
-Fender is completely rusted downside.

Guess I am out of luck getting hold of fenders for MK1....?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 809
Location: Great Falls ,Mt.
If the coolant pipe isn't too rusted out all you need to do is pull it out and replace the o-ring that is on the end where it goes into the water pump housing.

Ken.........


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Norway
Ah, as simple as that, will try to remove the pipe then.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Norway
Pipe is fastened only with a M10 bolt... pulled the piped out. O-ring defect as you said. Pipe rusted at the end, but OK.

Did not have a new O ring, dealer takes forever, so scrubbed the area clean and applied silicone gasket from tube as temp fix. Cured for two days before refilling. Looks good, mating surface is 1cm long and tight so silicone have a chance to hold tight.

No leakage, but need to get hold of a spare O ring in case of future failure.

Refilled with 50/50 coolant liquid/water.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Norway
No wonder door was loose, water have leaked into the screws.


Image


A 12mm stainless steel plate is machined and inserted, temporary hold into place by a rope. New 8mm treads.

Image


Two component class fiber enforced filler is used to make the surface even.

Image




The cooling leakage is resolved:

Image

I did not have a new gasket, so as a temp fix I cleaned the area and dried it, then applied silicone sealant along the gasket.
Seems to hold as the pipe goes in 10mm and creates a long friction area.

Fender is a total disaster, so bottom part has to be cut off and a new piece has to be made. Did not manage to source new fenders, it has been removed from the inventory of my parts supplier. I used large wooden pieces in a vice cut in shape in order to create the curve and hammer the edges.

Image


Final result: Fenders given some rattle paint: Primer, paint, clear coat.

Bottom part of fender is replaced with aluminum.

Image

Also removed some rust and primed the area behind the fenders with 2 layers of rust paint.

This was A LOT of work... but door works now and rust is gone.

A car is pretty useless if the driver door does not work properly!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Norway
The steel pipe with O ring had holes under the gasket, so took off a pipe from my spare engine.
The temp fix with silicone was a total disaster.

The o-ring was in poor condition on the "new" pipe, so I bought a new O ring gasket 26,57x3,53mm NBR. Used vaseline and shoved it into place, perfect fit!

A dollar solved my problem at the local machine shop :D

Would like to get hold of a new pipe though for my spare engine that I took it from... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:36 am
Posts: 886
Location: Vancouver BC
Quote:
but door works now and rust is gone.

A car is pretty useless if the driver door does not work properly!


I am glad that you were able to reattach the door, but I am a bit worried if the stainless steel backing plate is only held in place with fiberglass applied over the rusty metal in the doorframe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Norway
No worries there, the back plate is much much larger than the hole and goes upwards and downwards quite some distance. The plate is 12mm thick compared to 4mm originally.

The rust was removed and remanding treated with Owatrol oil, then 2 layers of rust paint. So 3 layers of rust protection to stop the rust.

My welding skills are poor so I used quite some time on this solution.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group