TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I NEED HELP!!! PLEASE!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:57 pm 

PLEASE HELP ME!
I have an 87 chevy sprint turbo with 100,000+ miles on it & I LOVE THE CAR!! but ive been having a few consistant problems lately:
1. there is a knocking around the block somewhere (could it be a piston? camshaft?)
2.i have problems shifting into first gear. do i need a whole new tranny or can i just replace the clutch itself?
3. this is the big one! heres what happened the other day: the car wasnt sounding right in the morning, and i have it set to idle at 1200rpms, but the other day it was bouncing from 900-1200 and coughing a little everytime i stepped on the gas. so i checked the spark plug wires cuz i had problems with them slipping off before. I pushed them all back in and it seemed to fix the problem BUT THEN: when i drove up onto the freeway i started to speed up and heard a loud pop!! i lost nearly all power and had to coast at like 15mph to the next exit. When i got off i checked the motor & it was fine EXCEPT the first spark plug had shot out of the head and was dangling at the end of the plug wire :shock: ; AND the second plug wire had popped out as well!!! I managed to shove the second wire back onto the plug and sputtered down the road to an AutoZone where i asked the service rep to help me get the first plug back in. He helped me but said that the thread in the head was stripped & would need to be resurfaced & that the same problem might happen again! WHAT SHOULD I DO? :?
I want to get a new head but im afraid if i get a new one: it might throw off the rest of the motor since i have all original parts on it. would the bottom end be able to handle it? should i just get a brand new motor? or just resurface the head? i know a few of you sell rebuilt motors! & i wanted to tune the motor i have but its been falling apart! so i need some help... what do you think?
thanks
-alex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:54 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Your transmission problem may just be a weak synchro. Try a fluid change to GM Synchromesh, and if that doesn't work, try double-clutching.

Like it or not, your cylinder head needs to come off to get fixed. My suggestion would be to send it down to 3Tech (see banner @ bottom of page) to be properly looked after.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:07 am 

You can get a helicoil put in for the stripped plug hole and it is recommended to remove it to prevent getting aluminum shavings in the cylinder (although I have seen people do it with the head on..) no resurfacing required and if its properly installeed shouldnt be a problem again.

Synchromesh works wonders, go to the GM dealer and ask for it. 2.5L's worth for your trans.

Is it a knocking or a clicking coming from the engine? valves may just need to be adjusted.

Get a new set of plug wires.

Scott

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:19 am 

thanks for all the help guys!!
Lihtan: The Synchromesh sounds GREAT!! can only i get it exlusively at a GM Dealer? or can i get it at any auto place like a PEP-BOYS or AutoZone? & how long would it take for 3Tech to hook up my head? cuz i did a little searching on the page & was wondering if it's still a week to a week and a half turnaround? & $375+part+shipping?
TbirdScott: Thanks for the tip on the helicoil!! Also: its a knocking / clacking sort of noise in my block not really a clicking.
Thanks again for all the help guys!!!
-alex-
ps. I'll be sure to get some new wires!! mine are kinda old :x !! hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:36 am 

Just have somebody (competent in head tapping) install a Helicoil in the head without removing it.
After it is installed, still leaving the plug out, go ahead and start it up.
Rev it up a bit and all the loose metal chips will be blown out.
Then put the spark plug back in and it should be ok.