TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm 

Sorry, did it again today 8)

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53180&p=416125#p416125

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 pm 

Man , that looks awesome . Definitely my kind of road :twisted: We may have to have another meet pretty soon. Time for a Spring meet maybe?
This is my favorite stretch of pavement in my neck of the woods . Usually we do it on motorcycles but every once in a while we do it with cars . This is James driving his T3 with our friend Milton in passenger seat, Sam in his 350Z ahead of him and me in my T3 behind him. There is even some Soap Box racing down the longest grade on that road =) starting at about 4 min. till about 6:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0m4FmuxeI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:52 pm 

Soap box racing :lol:

I was imagining coming around a curve to suddenly find a bunch of kids in soap-box derby cars on the road YIKES!

We do need to do it again, and I like Rogelio's idea of a Teamswift track day too. I'd like to get some more parts on the car before that though--the stack of pending improvements is increasing.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm 

Teeth wrote:
Soap box racing :lol:

I was imagining coming around a curve to suddenly find a bunch of kids in soap-box derby cars on the road YIKES!

We do need to do it again, and I like Rogelio's idea of a Teamswift track day too. I'd like to get some more parts on the car before that though--the stack of pending improvements is increasing.

Nah , just us being kids. It is pretty amazing. At a bottom of that grade you are moving about 70mph without any power. We clocked bicycle guys doing more than that on those pinky sized tires through the sweepers. Now they are nuts in my book, and all they have for protection is thin layer of spandex :huh:

I'd do a track day but after I finish my next project. The third Mk1 , it will be stripped and RWD :twisted:
I've been shopping :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 am 

Maybe it is a good thing we chose the Palm to Pines Highway for the run.

The area
has recently been in the news.

Here's an article, with a small map:
http://www.pe.com/local-news/riverside- ... -acres.ece
and there is a large forest fire in the area.

No word on how it started, but it is burning in an area which hasn't seen rain in months.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:03 pm 

OK guys , I think its time to start planning SoCal Swift meet 2013 edition. That Glendora road is still calling my name :D and Im sure Teeth wouldn't mind a lap or two on it.

How about second weekend in December again, Dec. 13-15th ? Please chime in with suggestions

Lets hope for warmer weekend this time around 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:56 pm 

I need to double check--I have a lot going on that weekend, but Friday and Saturday might be good. I'll have to bring little Bill along, but he's a Glendora veteran.

I'll do some research on the typical weather, but I do think there's a chance GMR will be closed or the conditions would be poor, likewise Hwy 2, which is way less technical but features a full 60 miles of carefully engineered constant radius curves.

How about camping at the Beach in Malibu, maybe at Leo Carillo or Corral Beach State Park and then playing around on Mulholland Hwy and other roads in the vicinity (check out Latigo Cyn). It's more populated, but not always crowded and there's plenty of gorgeous canyon road out there that's pretty much guaranteed to be free of snow/salt/gravel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 pm 

When I attended my very first Cali Swift meet in '05 we met in Calabasas because of proximity to all the great roads in Malibu hills . Not just Latigo and Topanga but Piuma , Stunt ,Schueren and Mulholland loop which is about 25 mile a lap SoCal version of "Green Hell". No traffic , twisty as hell and not in the middle of nowhere.
There is a "cheap"(for the area) motel in Calabasas, just off Ventura freeway, where I usually stay for less then $60 a night. It is in a proximity of some great places like "The Rock Store" on Mulholland and also car show Coffee&Cars every Sunday morning at Woodland Hills mall where lots of high end stuff shows up with their celebrity owners. Last time I was there riding my two wheel Suzuki I met the guy in the pic bellow.

Just adding to the idea pool :mrgreen:

Attachments:
P8140168.JPG
P8140168.JPG [ 671.47 KIB | Viewed 2797 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:06 pm 

Descanso Gardens would be pretty good this time of year.
Weather is pretty decent.
I enjoyed the meet of 2012 and would enjoy being a follower this year.

Angeles Crest Highway is a great trip and there are two places up there similar to the Rock House we met at a couple of years ago.
Teeth mentioned the Crest Highway, but the Angeles Forest Highway is also a nice run which is less traveled.
Crest or Forest, I'm sure you'd like it. You've got to take the Crest Highway to get to the Forest Highway if coming from La Canada.

Further north in Ventura, Highway 33 is a great run over the mountains. If you want to run hard, a 33/166/101/154 loop would really give some great scenery.
It's no down stream run.
On the 154, the "Cold Spring Tavern" is a destination which is legendary and certainly a once in a lifetime destination.
You will need reservations for dinner, and it isn't cheap, but if you hit it for lunch, it's much more laid back.
This is the area where Michael Jackson had his "Neverland" ranch, as well as many movie stars.

The County Arboretum isn't all that expensive and has a few good things to see.
A bit on the boring side if you are more into the moving machinery, but still a great backdrop for some pictures.

The Observatory above Hollywood is a great destination, although a bit crowded these days.
Tourists love the place (Google: Griffith Park Observatory).
You can walk to the famous Hollywood sign or get your picture with it in the background.

Sunset over Malibu as in years past was great.
I still have some HD video of the race between the Ferrari and the Maserati along Los Virgenes Canyon Road.

If you are into camping out, we've got an acre nearby which is available free of charge and you can park your cars indoors.

For a good restaurant, check out Yamashiro's online.
A trip to L.A. these days is a once in a while event, so why not make it memorable.

Sandwiches? Philippes in L.A.

Wineries in L.A. are worth a quick stop to get a box or two of wines.

Junkyards?
If you are looking for old MK1/2/3 parts, we could include a trip to a couple of junkyards.

Plenty to do, simply a matter of doing it.

My ride this year will not be anything special as I'm still tussling with the neighbors as to who owns what.
Money says I'll win, but it still isn't settled.

If you want free, LAX (Los Angeles Airport) can provide plenty of crackle. Just park on the main highway where all the jets take off.
Each conversation has a few "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" when the jets are overhead and they go most all day and well after midnight.
Each of those jet engines has at least 10 more horsepower than Jomo's last engine, I think.
And yes, they're as pretty inside as t3ragtop's custom builds, almost!

November might be better than December if you are looking for tee shirt weather. It is cold enough at night that smog isn't an issue and you get clear views from restaurants on hills.
The Pomona Valley Mining Company is once such place, as the aforementioned Yamashiros, depending on your seat. Yamashiro's garden outside is a destination in itself.

I've got plenty of ideas, but sometimes a new idea would work better, so some of you L.A. clowns chime in.

"BORN in East L.A." was a Mexican cry a few years back (sung to the tune of Born in the USA by Springsteen - never could spell his name) and there are some pretty decent restaurants out in East L.A.

College Campuses are pretty well kept and provide great backdrops for any group photos.

Marinas have great food which is traditionally expensive.
You can eat, watch the boats go through the harbor, and even rent one.

Marina del Rey, Long Beach Harbor, San Diego, Ventura...all have great sea life.

The Queen Mary, a Russian Sub next to it, The USS Iowa in San Pedro, USS Midway in San Diego, and of course, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain all abound.

Any of you non-Westerners can name the 6 flags over Texas?

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 pm 

Oooh I'm stoked.

Phil, I am giddy with the possibilities :buzz: , and I have family and friends in the neighborhood to stay with. So many possibilities--maybe we should choose a place to meet at, but decide where to cruise based on the conditions?

I am still just a tourist! :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:39 pm 

There's also a track day at Chuckwalla on Dec. 28 and 29...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:31 am 

Dang Phil, we gonna need a whole week :lol: Too many choices. Even Chuckawalla sounds good but I don't think timing would work for everyone else. I'd do it but I would have to bring T3 instead Gti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:05 pm 

I'm looking forward to doing something this December. I'm open to LA, Palm Springs again, Vegas, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 am 

Me too!

This is very much a side note for anyone in the Las Vegas area that is interested, but I am autocrossing in the Dragway parking lot this Sunday.

SCCA doesn't charge spectators anything, but depending on where the lot is it might be difficult to wiggle out of paying LVIR for parking or admission :(

If you can get in for free I'd love to hang out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:11 pm 

Teeth wrote:
Me too!

This is very much a side note for anyone in the Las Vegas area that is interested, but I am autocrossing in the Dragway parking lot this Sunday.

SCCA doesn't charge spectators anything, but depending on where the lot is it might be difficult to wiggle out of paying LVIR for parking or admission :(

If you can get in for free I'd love to hang out.

Do you have any events scheduled for Dec. in Vegas? Maybe we could make a Swift meet out of that and provide Swift cheering section for you? Good excuse to spend few days in Vegas :drunk:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:32 pm 

Yes, but it's early--Dec. 1st is the next one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:45 pm 

The only problem is that the event is at LVMS, and while SCCA doesn't charge spectators anything, it's sometimes hard to find us without LVMS charging for parking :(

Tsusuki managed to fly under the radar when he came out last year but I'd hate for everyone to pay $15 to see my 6 minutes of Swift racing over the course of the day :roll:

I'll see what the SCCA folks think about it, because competitors always have to pay LVMS, but then SCCA makes their fee cheaper so it's still less than $50 to run.

Everybody should just autocross their cars, :lol: there's a $10 discount for first timers...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:52 am 

Teeth wrote:
Yes, but it's early--Dec. 1st is the next one.

That's too early for me . I will be in Colorado first week of December. There isn't much time left till Dec. 15th we have to decide what will it be. Palm Springs , Calabasas or Vegas ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:05 am 

As it turns out, I won't be able to run in Vegas on the 1st anyway--I am scheduled to do Thanksgiving with the inlaws in Norcal :(

If enough of Angeles Crest Hwy was certain to be free of snow and salt, I might actually vote for Descanso Gardens because I have relatives I can stay with nearby--otherwise I vote Calabasas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:51 pm 

Quote:
I am scheduled to do Thanksgiving with the inlaws in Norcal :(

Where in Norcal?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:31 pm 

San Jose...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:05 am 

Cool, You'll still be around 150 miles south of me. If you head up towards Berkeley or the North Bay let me know and we can grab some coffee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:04 pm 

Well, it sounds like we are gravitating toward Calabasas and Piuma-Stunt-Scheren-Mulholland, SoCal version of "Green Hell" :D
I wouldn't mind rubbing shoulders with well heeled and parking my Swift next to their Ferraris at Woodland Hills Mall on Sunday morning :wink:
Does Dec 15th weekend works for everyone?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:37 pm 

I'm in for that date and location--sounds great!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:56 am 

James will have his car done by that time so we are coming with two cars from AZ just like last year. We will be staying at the Good Night Inn at Ventura Fwy & Las Virgenes Rd. We picked that location for '05 meet because of easy access to all the fun roads , plenty of parking and restaurants.

Attachments:
SoCalMeet05-01.JPG
SoCalMeet05-01.JPG [ 259.22 KIB | Viewed 2642 times ]
SoCalMeet05-03.JPG
SoCalMeet05-03.JPG [ 260.08 KIB | Viewed 2642 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next