TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:21 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:24 am 
A legend in his own mind

I recently purchased a poly motor mount bushing, being sold as a "race" motor mount for the engine to firewall section (Available online -selling for $99USD/~$125CDN)

The kit came complete with ample white grease, a perfect fitting metal bolt sleeve and (although crude) instructions.

It took about 20 mins to get the stock mount off,
about 30 mins to get the stock bushing out,
about 15 mins to get the new bushing in (didn't have a press...used a vise)
about 20 mins to get everything back on and torqued down.

I start the car up and WWWWHHHHOOOOAAAAAA!
The interior of my car sounded like I had a dozen 18" subwoofers installed in my dashboard!
There was a horrendous resonance- vibration- humm coming from the front of the car. It sounded like 15hz or 20hz of bass just shaking everthing in front of me.
From 800rpm to 1500rpm, this would be a constant condition. Only at 1,600rpm would it basically go away.
My car used to be a suprisingly tight and quiet car, with next to no interior rattles, buzzing or otherwise...but not anymore! (stock mounts, shocks, springs and tires)

What's it like when you drive now?

There is next to zero shifter play when driving. Shifter feel is enormously improved and I can get rubber in 2nd gear now without any problems. 2nd gear comes in at any speed or rpm quite effortlessly, which is quite a contrast to before which was a consitent "crrrrunnnch" getting into 2nd at anything above 4k rpm. The motor would move and sway enough during hard acceleration that it would throw off all the shift rods and induce a fucked shift. Now, that is basically all gone.

If I accelerate in 1st gear up to about 4,500rpm and then floor it, the car simply begs for traction and the front wheels break loose. (Keep in mind I have stock 175/60 re92s). It's a lot worse - the breaking loose- than what it used to be.

I thought that maybe the mount was bit cold, and as such, a bit harder than normal, but even after 20 mins of hard driving and everything getting warmed up it was exactly the same.

Otherwise- besides the horrendous in cabin vibration at idle- driving around normally hasn't really changed re: NHV.

Overall rating?
For a race or track only setup? 10/10
For someone who wants the improved traction and shifting feel at any cost? 10/10
For a daily driven car that will idle under 1,600rpm? 3/10

Just a thought to those who really want to consider poly motor mount bushings in cars they intend to drive daily with passengers.

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:32 am 
Suzuki Elder

do you think that a layer of acoustic deadener like the audio boyz use would quiet the firewall down? a stock interior has a felt backed vinyl matting that goes up above the carpet onto the firewall but i was thinking of the new foil backed dynamat for the whole firewall, floor pans to windshield.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:12 am 
King of Pompous

TGstring\";p=\"77744 wrote:
The interior of my car sounded like I had a dozen 18" subwoofers installed in my dashboard!

Hehehehe...get the car checked.....such a blatant misinterpretation...bet you've never heard 2 18's let alone a dozen....bet one of my 15's vibrate more than your whole car....bet I'm just trying to be a prick now....:P:P:P:P

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:33 pm 

I just ordered one for myself who cares if it makes allot of noise :) as long as my car goes a little bit faster with it then it's worth the freaking noise :P

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:45 pm 
A legend in his own mind

Fair enough...talk to me after you're done instaling it...you will be like: :shock:

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:50 pm 

problem is i'm doing allot of mods at once so it's gonna be a combination of a AASCO flywheel and stronger ATC clutch but when it's up and running i'll let ya know :P

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:25 pm 

I have all three mounts filled with urethane. I ordered a can of urethane 94 Durometer from MC Masters and filled all three engine mounts. They're rock solid. No engine movement. Lot of rattling below 1400 RPM's. I think I should have used 94 durometer for rear mount and 80 for the other two. Total price was about US $40 for all three mounts. Not bad :P

I got the idea from an article that somebody here linked to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:43 pm 

Excellent writeup from TGstring on the solid mount.

I had bought one of these from ssgti.com a long time ago, but only recently got it in while I was doing some tranny work. I agree on all points, except that there was no way I was going to be able to push out the old mount myself. I had a local shop do it for me for $20. A gear puller is no match for a hydraulic press.

The shifter feels soo much more precise now. And yes, my firewall is now like one big speaker cone perfectly transmitting every mechanical nuance from the engine compartment. Honestly it isn't too bad, just at lower revs where the resonant frequencies match more closely.

Good performance upgrade, but noisy.

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:11 am 

I too liked the write up! I am mostly a putter and not after speed type performance. I am mostly a fuel economy guy. Comfort, reliability, fuel economy, and the fun of putting the top down is for me.

I am interested in good tires, brakes, handeling and other such items that would allow me to be safer. I believe in preventing accidents with better equiptment than say something like air bags which only help after the fact!

The motor mount interested me from a possible reliability standpoint, as my mounts are pretty old and worn, which means they need replacing!

Excessive sound from rattles and non deadened noisy mounts don't appeal to me so THANK YOU TGstring for the write up!!

PS I have urathane bushings in my anti roll bars and highly recommend those but you need to grease them at least once a year with marine grade grease to keep em non squeaky!