TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:53 pm 

So, after bouncing around the board, and seeing the posts for Mikes cams, I decided to start looking into one.

The cam I got is a bit more aggresive than the ones he is offering at the moment, as I was a test vehicle.(yep, im a guinea pig!)

Install was a breeze, took a whopping 45 mins if that to get it installed.

And then the fun started!!!

Low rpm was affected,( idle to 2500) that is where i noticed the torque differance. Seemed to gain some in overall pickup as well.I wasnt able to really let the RPM's rap out, as traffic was getting in the way.I got her to around 4000, and noticed the powerband seemed to have broadend, as I had just started to notice another round of power when I shifted.

As for the over rpm observation, it doesnt seem to "whine" so bad when you climb rpms as it did with the stock cam. From idle to 4000, showed no sign of powerloss, or overall "whine" normally associated with a mid to high rpm run.Motor seems to want more fuel and air

I noticed a distinct differance in exhaust tome as well. A much deeper, smoother tone than before.

As for all over improvement, I noticed that the motor just seemed to feel better. A nice tone, throttle response, mid rpm idle. It's starting to really feel like a nice tuning car, instead of the Econo-box it was when i got it.

I will continue to add to this post as I test and tune the car, I havent been able to really open it up, as Im having an issue with heat, but I will be getting that fixed as soon as possible.

The vehicle settings are:
1.0 3 cyl
MSD ignition- 6al ignition box, Blaster 2 coil, 8.5 mm wires
Mikuni independant carbs-open air aspirated
Performance camshaft
Advanced timing cam gear( review posted)

Overall rating: 2 thumbs and my puppys paws up! SO far im very impressed with the part, and with overall quality.

Aaron

MSD 6al control, coil, wires.
2" exhaust from the hollow cat back
Short throw shift
front & rear strut bars
lowered 1.5"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:31 pm 

Current car setup:
- 3-Tech +10 cam sprocket
- 10 deg ignition advance
- 3-Tech underdrive pulley
- 3-Tech 350/220 cam
- 92 octane fuel
- removed fender airbox and tubing
- removed TBI aircleaner bridge
- 175/70R13

Powerband does broaden, both low and high rpms. Throttle response has improved. The little N/A 1.0 wants to sing to redline and probably beyond. Idles rough and occasionally hunts between 800 and 1000 rpm, but hasn't stalled yet. I'll advance the timing more to see if it helps. Exhaust note has deepened like Aaron said.

Once again 3-Tech delivers another quality piece for the humble little 3 cylinder. With this cam I believe I can now accelerate to keep people from cutting me off just so they don't get stuck behind this "slow" metro. :D I'd buy it again if I had another car to put it in.

EDIT 10-13-05: Lost between 6 and 8 mpg. Experimented with the TPS and the idle adjustment screw. Not idling as rich or hunting like before. :thumbsup: I think I am having alternator problems though so the idle is also a little high at 1100. Once thats replaced I'll try get it back down to 800.

Edit, Edit: Not alternator. I'm pretty sure it was the heavyweight oil I was using (20w-50 doh). Using 10w30 and everything is alright. Idle down to 900.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:40 am 

ok after 3 weeks of a mike camshaft in my 3 cyl i noticed a great improvement over stock power.
to good to be true.
this 3 cyl is more alive than ever.The cam I got is 222/365

after install it the fun started!!!

Low rpm was affected,but at 2000/2500 rpm to 7000 that is where i noticed the real torque differance. Seemed to real gain some more power has outgoing on traffic. :wink:
i noticed another round of power when I shifted.
I noticed a distinct differance in exhaust tome as well. A much deeper, smoother tone than before. :lol:

2 thumbs up for another high professional part for those 3 buggers :lol: :lol:
no more slow 1.0 swift....... :-P :-P :-P :lol: :lol:

mods:
advanced timind ignition
+10 cam gear( 3 tech)
lightened gti flywheel
222/365 camshaft (3 tech)
k&n air filter
gti oil filter
removed tbi bridge, and fender ressonator along with pipes to the air cleaner piece
iridium plugs
3 tech 9mm wires
underdrive pulley occ racing (double)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:31 pm 

Finally I have had a chance to take my car for a long drive with its new motor which includes a 3tech 365/222 cam and head package. I drove from northern Alberata to Vancouver through the Rockies along the yellow head trail and coquihalla highway. I must say that I am fully impressed with the performance with this new set up. I managed to average about 130 to 145 KPH (85 mph) and occasionally 160 (100 mph) without any problems including the long pulls up majorly steep hills through the rockies and the central BC mountains. I even had enough power to excellerate past rows of slower traffic on stretches of road were people are hell bent not to allow you to pass. About a month ago I did the same trip with my old worn out engine (365000 km) set up with all the mods in my sig with out the fresh engine and head package in 13 1/2 hrs. This time I did it in less than 12, I was amazed with the new found torque and throttle response and not having to shift out of 5th gear in places where the previous motor had to be downshifted to 4th or even 3rd. Not once did my little car drop under the speed limit on the major hills (110 kph). Oh, did I mention that I still get that insane gas millage that the g10 is famous for?

Once again I have to say that if there was any mod to do to your g10, get one of Mikes performance cams!
These things come highly recommended by me!

Just perpared to get ditry looks when you blow by a newer more powerfull car in an old metro doing almost 100 mph!

NA 1.0 with a 3tech performance head with 222/365 cam mounted to a fresh over bored bottom end, 2" exhaust, throttle body bridge removed, 6mm wires, high output coil, Swift GT tail lights, Suzuki 7 spoke alloys, and one over kill of a high energy sound system! FUN FUN !

2011 SX4 JX AWD 6 spd MT. Mods Pending!
6 time Suzuki owner now. That dam '89 got me hooked!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:54 pm 
Sad but True...

since this got bumped I figure I might aswell talk about my 226/375 im running.

ive experimented with a 10, 6 and 4degree advance gear, and it seemed to run out of breath past 6500 with the +10, so I tried a 6 and noticed an improvement up there then eventually swapped it out for a stock gear and had the best results up high. definitely felt a loss of power off idle, but since the gear change ive changed to a +4 gear now (I had my head shaved some more too) so more or less the gear is only advancing 1-2degrees over stock, but better than retarding as it would with all the material removed from my head.

my config:
g10t block
vitara pistons (7.2:1 ish maybe?)75mm
turbo rods (statically balanced)
turbo crank (whole assembly balanced, btw it hardly needed any correcting)
arp studs
wild port work on the head
head shaved almost 0.100" (8:1 ish comp now)
alc injection kit using a 50/50 mix
megasquirt n spark standalone
226/375 cam
+4 gear
blaster coil with stock ignitor
big intercooler
big throttle body
underdrive pulley
ngk #6 heat plugs gapped at 0.022"
all new maintenance items

it performs well enough up high that I can call it good, im not sure what else to do to get more power out of the 7700-8500rpm spot, its probably flow restriction at that point. once I get on the dyno ill try to get some more timing in there up high too. should do close to 200hp

I get maybe 20mpg if im lucky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:08 am 

Powerband does broaden, both low and high rpms. Throttle response has improved. The little N/A 1.0 wants to sing to redline and probably beyond. Idles rough and occasionally hunts between 800 ไฮโลand 1000 rpm, but hasn't stalled yet. I'll advance the timing more to see if it helps. Exhaust note has deepened like Aaron said.