TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:41 pm 

I was in Vancouver yesterday so I went by Mountain Equipment Co-op (I love that store.. http://www.mec.ca) and saw these little things made by a company called Niteize (http://www.niteize.com). MEC only carried this one product, but Niteize has a whole line of different things on their website for your Maglite.

LED upgrade
They're replacement bulb/reflector kits for the mini maglites (AA size), which convert it from a normal incandescent (sp?) bulb to one with 3 LED's. It was only $8 CAD at Mountain Equipment Co-op (its not listed on MEC's website though), or $9 (USD id assume) through the manufacturer's site above.

The LED kit makes the light way brighter, and its white light, and uses 1/4 the batteries, and the bulb lasts for over 100,000 hours of constant use (according to the manufacturer). Up close, my AA-size Maglite is almost as bright as my standard D-sized one (the kind that the police like to beat people with). Further away the D one still wins, because the LED beam on the small one isnt as focused.

Sorry if I'm sounding like an infomercial, but I'm really happy with this thing, and I'd recommend it to anyone who owns a AA Maglite. And its alot cheaper than buying a new LED flashlight.

Not bad for under $10.. But if you dont have a Maglite and want an emergency flashlight to keep in the car, I'd tell you to find a crank-powered, or shaking-powered one so you can be sure it wont die when you really need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:03 pm 

I've seen these at Fry's here in California. Almost bought one but thought it might be cheesy and not work well. Glad to see the results. I'll have to get one next time I'm there.

Dave

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:21 am 
Sad but True...

Man I left my Mag-Lite underneath a truck at work,,so it is look, I'm retarded spead it's light somewhere in the U.S. now.For a replacement,I bought a 30 LED cordless droplight.

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:18 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I really love my Photon Microlights. I've got one on just about every keychain. They're great at night, so you don't stab the paint around your doorlock with your car key. Since it's always in my pocket with my keys, I'm guaranteed to have light when I need it. You never know when you need to dig under a dashboard, inside an engine bay, behind the computer or if the power goes out. The basic Photon 1 just has a button that you squeeze. I like the Photon 2, which adds a locking slide switch. Locking the switch on then lets me clench it with my teeth, leaving both my hands free. There's now also a Photon 3 that is microprocessor controlled that has a number of strobe settings.

Photon 2 Microlight:

Photon Microlights start at $9. They're available in a rainbow of colors including UV (you can check currency) and IR (you can use it with nightvision) They're great value for emergencies and everyday use. They also make thoughtful gifts too. The batteries are good for about 200 hours of continuous use, or if you use it for a few seconds every day, you'll find your battery life goes for months*. Photon's website has online ordering, and they even take PayPal, so even suckas like me that don't have credit can buy them!

Links:
Photon Microlights:
http://www.photonmicrolight.com

*You can save money by purchasing your batteries from Radio Shack, and then getting an extended warranty on them. You buy them once and they'll replace them up to three(?) times free of charge.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:05 am 
King of Pompous

Moved to a better home...

Yeah I have something similar to Lihtan's on my keychains at home too. Always nice to have a bright source of light handy at all times. Forget who makes mine but you can get them at CTC or Walmart for around 6-7 bux.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:35 pm 

The whole reason why I even wanted to get the LED upgrade kit for my maglite in the first place was because I had one of those Photon lights on my keychain, and whenever I'd go camping I'd find myself using my keychain rather than my Maglite.

The switch on my Photon light started to go after about 4 or 5 months, then a month later it was messed up completely.. I then picked up a different kind from Mountain Equipment Co-op in vancouver that has strobe settings as well (though I only ever use those to freak people out by shining it in their face and yelling "RAVER DANCE PARTY" when they're inebriated).

[url=http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442588127&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1125004713714]
Turtle white LED, $3.50 CAD at MEC
Image[/url]
The only thing I found annoying with this one compared to my original Photon Light is that this one you only need to press the button, and it'll stay on, but the button requires almost zero effort to press so it always seems to come on in my pocket since it doesnt have a 'lock' switch... But for $3.50 I can buy a couple for the same price as the Photon, so I guess you get what you pay for. They come in white and red, and with the stretchy band loop thing that comes on it, you can attach it to your handlebars of your bike, or whatever.

These little tiny ones for your keychain are awesome, but arent very useful for over 10-15 feet because the light isnt focused at all.. Its too bad they dont make keychain-sized ones with reflectors around the LED to focus the beam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:45 am 

got one the other day for $7 at REI and I have to agree the upgrade is awsome..much much cleaner,brighter,crisper light.. Image Image Image

Post subject: me too
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:10 pm 

i got the led upgrade and the push button back, very cool and bright, that was the prob before with mini mags, just not bright, the led raelly makes a difference.....

you also hae to have a 6 C cell for thumping heads....