TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:27 pm 

Yesterday I installed Mike's +10 degree sprocket on my Metro Convertible. Right away I noticed that the idle was higher and that the intake and exhaust note were different. This seems to be just what the little engine likes as there is considerably more torque at low rpm. It also reaches redline easier without having to strain so much.

I bought this car strictly for transportation 2 years ago. It is my vehicle of choice now. I also have a Ferrari 308 GTS and the Metro is so much more user friendly, nimble, and handles well after adding Swift sway bars. But a Ferrari it ain't!... The factory should have offered the 1.3 DOHC engine and handling package to sell in the USA (GTI's are rare in my area).

MIKE'S +10 sprocket: THE best surprise after installing the sprocket was that I could pull like a tractor from 1500 rpm without hint of detonation. Ping was a major factor with the recent hot weather and around town with the A/C on made this car extremely gutless. I added a cheap home built evaporative inlet cooler made with a gallon plastic jug and burlap sack and drove the car for 6 weeks and ping was considerably reduced, and power was back to normal even on very hot days. The cooler consumes 1/2 gallon of water per 100 miles.

MIKE'S +10 sprocket took every bit of ping away even at low rpm with the A/C on and added torque. I have no numbers on how much power the cam sprocket added but it seems to have added more across the rpm band, at least as much as the A/C compressor takes away. The inlet cooler was DRY when I test drove the car, and ping was not present at all!
Drivability is very much improved and I found myself short shifting around town to save gas.....$3/gallon yesterday, $6 next week???

I highly recommend Mike's 3Tech sprocket for anyone who enjoys their 1.0 Metro as much as I do. I bought it on eBay.

PS: Don't waste $120 (you motorheads know that) on "ELECTRONIC SUPERCHARGERS" aka the $16 boat bilge blower fan. I put the 3" blower on and it does almost nothing. I may relocate the blower to exhaust the cat box in the laundry room instead.

Oh yeah.....THANKS 3Tech MIKE! ....Kim