TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:03 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:06 pm 

Do not buy ANY clutch parts besides the throwout bearing or pilot bearing from Canadian Tire for your MK2 turbo sprint OR your MK2 Swift GTi. A new clutch disc by itself OR the whole clutch kit (pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch disc) are the WRONG parts.

1. Clutch replacement- the whole kit includes the correct throwout and pilot bearings. The pressure plate even looks correct. BUT, the disc does not have the proper center bore to go onto the input shaft. I (and my father) just spent 3 hours on his car trying to get the transmission to go on. After convincing my father that we take the tranny off to have a look, lo and behold it does not fit.

2. Clutch disc- As if that wasn't enough, we then decide to go to the other Canadian Tire to look at the clutch disc by itself. Now this clutch disc has a center bore that is too big (WTF??!) and it has a 6 and 3/4" disc diameter on it (the proper size for a regular sprint).

I am at wits end, so we finally said screw it, and went to NAPA. Brand new EVERYTHING kit (bearings, disc, pressure plate) was $245.00cdn. BUT, its their grand opening at their new location so the gentalman gave it to us for $185.99 :D We ordered two, one for my dad and one for me. His computer even had how many splines the center had, and how big the clutch disc was (which we verified). Overall, I highly suggest staying away from Auto Value, and Canadian Tire for any engine related parts. Ok, I'm done, hope this helps somebody from making the same mistake I did.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:31 pm 
A legend in his own mind

yes,
Crappy Tire fails Canadians once again.

Actually...the Daikin/Exedy clutch kits or MasterTec Pro Pac as they're also sold by are 100% the best ones you can buy for your GTi as far as stock replacements go.

egay is littered with them for around $95usd which works out CHEAPER than anything you can find in Canada anyway.

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:44 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

just talk to jess and get yourself a spec clutch kit, WAY better, WAY more options for performance .. just pretend you have a gti '89-'94

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:04 am 
The Smuggler

Hey Adam
(Fenco does not package a Dynapac kit for the turbo car 190mm disc.
Only Balanced units clutch and disc in remanufactured, you have to buy the pilot and throwout bearings separate.)
Update! Sept 20th: I was wrong they do make a complete kit part # NU0077 includes the pressure plate, disc and bearing.

I always compare the old parts to the new parts before installation, to see if they are correct.
Balanced unit part # is BU0077 for 7.5 in disc on a Turbo car.
The spline size is the same on regular spirint/metro as on our turbo tranny's 7.5x 3/4x 18 teeth also our flywheels are not stepped as in the regular 1.0's. Our clutch is a Swift GTI DOHC same plate and disc, and flywheel. Again no Dynapac kit available.
The guy at CT who looked up your clutch kit, probably thought it was just a regular sprint. :wink:
If you need help on part numbers pm me anytime, I am always here to help you find the correct parts.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Last edited by Knuckles on Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:51 pm 

That guy that looked up the parts at Canadian tire did know what he was doing. It was me! And why did both n1tr0 and Knuckles seem to think I had no idea that the GT and turbo 3 clutches are the same when I state it? I gave up after the first month I owned the car refering to it as a turbo sprint to any parts person.

Quote:
just talk to jess and get yourself a spec clutch kit, WAY better, WAY more options for performance .. just pretend you have a gti '89-'94

I wish it were that easy n1tr0. In SCCA and CAC regulated sports, aftermarket clutches are not allowed until you move into street prepared. While they will not tear your tranny apart to find out, I like to follow the rules. The SCCA has a "golden rule" that if its NOT mentioned in the rule books as being allowed, its not allowed.

Quote:
Fenco does not package a Dynapac kit for the turbo car 190mm disc.

They say they do, but you are correct that they do not have a proper kit for either the GT or turbo 3.

Quote:
I always compare the old parts to the new parts before installation, to see if they are correct.

My fathers an impatient fellow and believed that I had the correct information that the GT and turbo 3 clutches are the same. Which they ARE, of course, BUT Canadian Tire does not have the proper listing/Fenco does not have the proper parts.

Quote:
The spline size is the same on regular spirint/metro as on our turbo tranny's 7.5x 3/4x 18 teeth

Can't comment on this, but the remanufactured disc (by itself, just the disc) did not have the correct spline size diameter. It was to big on the remanufactured unit, and to small on the brand new one.

Finally *shakes fist at Knuckles* I just noticed that wink after the "parts guy comment". Better be careful, you might find a turbo bleeding oil on a stick in front of one of your cars next time I'm in BC :wink:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:14 pm 
The Smuggler

Quote:
The spline size is the same on regular spirint/metro as on our turbo tranny's 7.5x 3/4x 18 teeth

Believe me they are the same size this is why we can swap tranny's on our cars.

Quote:
Can't comment on this, but the remanufactured disc (by itself, just the disc) did not have the correct spline size diameter. It was to big on the remanufactured unit, and to small on the brand new one.

Probably boxed wrong product it happens to me also.

Quote:
Finally *shakes fist at Knuckles* I just noticed that wink after the "parts guy comment". Better be careful, you might find a turbo bleeding oil on a stick in front of one of your cars next time I'm in BC :wink:

:lol: I thought you would finally catch that. If Lordco ever comes to your neighborhood (maybe sooner than you think) I will make sure you get an application for employment. So you can learn the true parts business.

And my offer to help with part numbers and applications still stands any time. :D

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:21 pm 
Teamswift Racer

spline counts of all t3, 993cc NA or g13b are the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:23 pm 

Edited-

That statement was a bit hasty, and will be "retracted" until tomorrow :lol: Might have figured out the problem, but the car has not been driven yet.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:37 pm 
El Pimpo del Geo

yep can tire wanted 170 cad for a stock replacement clutch kit but i picked up a stage 1 racing kit for 140 cad WTF???? i think can tire is retarded aswell

rip my poor baby :( sept 1994-apr 2008
91 sidekick, 4x4 2" lift 30" swampers, winch,
to come ..... performance bits.... body lift, custom bumpers