TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:14 am 
King of Pompous

I've been running a Directed Electronics SX12 for a few weeks now and aside from being a low sensitivity sub (81db IIRC) it actualy sounds very good. They are rated at 600W and it takes it well but starts to strain on sub 40Hz material when I crank it on my underated 1200W Class D. It's currently sitting in a smallish 1.6 cube enclosure ported to around 32Hz. In the next few weeks if time permits I'm going to run it in a 3 cube enclosure tuned around 25Hz and it looks like it'll be a screamer in it. Currently it does get decently loud, with a good hit you in the chest on drum beats type music, for a single 12 but SQ seems to be more it's cup of tea. I say SQ more because of it's low sensitivity rating than anything. If you have a small amp (200W range) you won't get much volume out of it. I got it in a 1.5 cube sealed enclosure and it was very tight. I've heard better but for the price (they retail around $390 IIRC) it's very good. Dealer cost on these is about $190CDN to give you an idea on how much you can deal your price down.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:53 am 
King of Pompous

So I've had the sub for a couple of months now and here's where it's at. It has taken a really good beating and is still as clean as the day I bought it. Its actualy quite musical with little decay and can dish out a good beating too. Listened to everything from Enya to Rob Zombie to DJ Baby Ann to Aphex Twin and it played them all very well. Your going to need a lot of power to make this sub shine though. RMS is 600W and I've squeezed around 1000W through it (with music) without it blowing up so far. At full power my amp does just shy of 2000W and the sub gives out a good bit before that. It did take a couple of 2 second 45Hz burps at full power though and only smelled a little funny after :poke:. I would put 1000W as the absolute most you should try to put through this sub. At those levels it does strain on the low stuff but still manages to shake the mirrors pretty good and you can hear it from a good distance away. Never got around to putting it in a larger enclosure but I'm sure that it will pound really good in something a little bigger. Don't need to go the 3 cubes I was shooting for. I'm sure in a nice 2 cube tuned to 30Hz enclosure it will make a lot of people happy.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.