TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:31 pm 

So I recieved the rad today. Looks like all the other all aluminum rads I have bought in my life(shiny). This one is polished, which was a nice surprise(very,very shiny).

So I install it and right away I realize that this rad was not designed to fit the OEM fan. The skrid rad has two mounting holes one on top and the other on bottom(a GTi fan assembly has three mounting points). Of the two holes on the new rad, only one can be used to mount the OEM fan. Now I could fab up some brakets to fix this problem. It would look like shit and I'm not bothered. So...I called summit racing up and they have the FAL fan for a 92-2000 honda civic for $175.00. This fan is but a half inch off in dimension from the skrid rad. Of course the FAL fan is 2.75 inches thick as well(cool). I should have the FAL fan mid week and I will post pics when I re-install the rad with the new fan.

What am I passing on to the forum? If you buy the skird alum. rad....be aware that the rad is designed to be mounted in the OEM location. The thing is that they did not design the rad to accept the OEM fan assembly.

-Rogelio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:15 pm 
King of Pompous

Its a shame that you have to pay nearly $300US plus have to buy a fan to fit it right. nice once its done though. My car needs a new rad and I been looking at fitting a higher capacity unit with this one being on my list of hopefuls. Let us know how it goes.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:34 pm 

m wrote:
Its a shame that you have to pay nearly $300US plus have to buy a fan to fit it right. nice once its done though. My car needs a new rad and I been looking at fitting a higher capacity unit with this one being on my list of hopefuls. Let us know how it goes.

No worries, I earn money to buy the things thats make my life worth living(performance parts!). Let's not forget my motto!

-Rogelio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:51 pm 

Ok, here are some pics of the skrid rad installed. I have included pics of the mounting holes as well to give you an idea what you can expect if you buy one. Again, the rad is of very good quality and it mounts up just like the OEM rad. The fact that the OEM fan does not bolt up is what I am on about. Jess if you catch this thread...I did not realize you manufactured aluminum rads. I just saw some feedback from one you sold to leeye(oh well).

Let me be clear...the rad is great. It performs as it it should.

-Rogelio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:17 pm 

An email has been sent:

Hello suzukird,

I have received and installed your "hand made" aluminum radiator. I am pleased with the product aesthetically and it works just as it should. There is one thing about the radiator that I did not expect. Your radiator is not designed to accept the OEM Suzuki fan assembly. The website does not state or imply that the OEM fan shroud assembly would not fit. I know it is hard to think of everything when offering up a product for sale to the public. It should be mentioned in the product description that the OEM fan assembly will not "bolt" up to the "hand made" radiator. Many of your potential customers wait for people like me who can afford to buy Swift performance products to give feedback. I am glad there is a company like yours offering high performance products for my Swift. I just want to help you guys get more sales....communication is everything in sales!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:50 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

You're loosing quite a bit of fan efficiency if the shroud isn't close to the rad. When the fan the turns on, the air flow will prefer the path of least resistance, which will likely be the big gap between the shroud and the rad. There's definately a big engineering oversight as to what sort of fan is supposed to bolt to that.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:33 am 

Exactly, I tend to give SKIRD the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure it is an advertising oversight as opposed to an engineering oversight. If it is indeed a design blunder...well :shock:.

We will soon know as I expect a response from them very soon.

-Rogelio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:43 am 
King of Pompous

IIRC the FAL fans will mount against the rad with the use of plastic bolts that you have to carefully push through the fins on the rad. There is no doubt in mt mind that it will be a very good setup once finished.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:35 pm 

So I recieved the FAL fan today. I have fitted it as well. I am very pleased with it! :D

Here is a brief on the installation. The fan comes with two metal brackets. These brackets with a little igenuity worked perfect for the rad. Let me be clear, you have to modify the brackets to fit. Nothing drastic, just some cutting, drilling and filing. If it were not for the brackets included in the kit(for 92-200 Honda civic), I would not recommend this to you guys.

Once, the brackets were customized to suit my rad, it was a simple matter of transplanting the Honda fan control harness with the Suzuki one.

Then I just slid the rad and fan assembly in place and bolted it up.

One little problem I ran into was that the fan shroud was nearly touching the exhaust manifold. My fix for this was to wrap the piece of piping with some thermo-tec exhaust wrap.

The part number for the fan is FLX-125 for 92-2000 Honda Civic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm 

Here is one last pic of how I compensated for the fan shroud being too close to the exhaust manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:37 pm 

Tsusuki wrote:
An email has been sent:

Hello suzukird,

I have received and installed your "hand made" aluminum radiator. I am pleased with the product aesthetically and it works just as it should. There is one thing about the radiator that I did not expect. Your radiator is not designed to accept the OEM Suzuki fan assembly. The website does not state or imply that the OEM fan shroud assembly would not fit. I know it is hard to think of everything when offering up a product for sale to the public. It should be mentioned in the product description that the OEM fan assembly will not "bolt" up to the "hand made" radiator. Many of your potential customers wait for people like me who can afford to buy Swift performance products to give feedback. I am glad there is a company like yours offering high performance products for my Swift. I just want to help you guys get more sales....communication is everything in sales!

Here is Suzuki Racing Development's reply:

Dear Rogelio

Please accept our apologies for the delay in our answer but our new integrated internet and back office software gave us a hard time to setup and trouble shoot generating a backlog on the emails server. Now we are back on line.

First of all thank you for taking the time to review the product and let others know your findings as it is much appreciated not only by us but by the other Suzuki Swift community members.

As you say text does not imply or state that the OEM shroud would not fit but it actually does not state or imply it does either and that is something we are to modify right away so customers know the origin of this unit are highly modified Swifts that had a performance fan already in place along with our performance thermostat and all kind of coolant additives and wind deflectors as those were the only things you could do to fight coolant temp back down.

Fortunately enough you experienced the performance upgrade it should provide and that is the most important thing after all. We will update the product description and are currently determining which performance Fan is the one we had fitted there as we looked for it trying to fit turbo piping, additional reservoirs and water/fuel coolers in the way so that unit is actually really thin and still provides plenty of air flow while drawing the least amount of electrical power for those alternator free/off sprint short track events.

Thanks again and hope to see your next order pretty soon.

Best Regards,

Suzuki Racing Development
A Division of ANCLA Inc.
Miramar, FL - USA

So you see, communication is key. Those of you who are skeptical about SKIRD, you need not be. If you have a problem with them of any sort....just let them know. They are very professional and most importantly, the are Swift nuts like us!

-Rogelio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 pm 
King of Pompous

Just installed my SRD rad today and it works great. I needed to make two small brackets to make the factroy fan work with it and it fits very well. I will be getting an aftermarket fan regardless to gain CFM's over the oem unit though. Very pleased with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:41 am 
King of Pompous

Just adding a pic of the OEM fan attached. All you need is a couple of short pieces of 1/8"x1" aluminum (or whatever) to mount the OEM fan. You need to cut off the factory tabs and the lower rad mount needs to be cut off as well. The aluminum bar just screws inot the SRD mounting holes and you need to drill a hole in the OEM fan to mount the bracket to. Its a very tight fit in the bay. I had to place the rad with the top sitting under the cross member and slide the fan in carefuly into position. It takes a little wiggling and some cursing helps. Once its in though it sits perfectly on the rad. When I get time I'll make a nicer bracket...then later on I'll be switching to a hier flow/shallower fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:44 am 
King of Pompous