TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ssgti coil overs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:57 pm 

well i recently purchased the complete ssgti coil over kit. I must say I am indifferent about them. First off, they do not lower the car at all. the rears are not adjustable, but claim they lower the car 45mm. Mine were installed professianly and the car was not lower. the front however were installed being 'dumped' all the way and still did not appear lower. I suppose if you cut a coil it will appear lower. however, i did not install performance suspention to lower the car, i got it to handle better. honestly i wasnt worried about the drop. a car too low can cause issues. sure it looks nice, but i wanted firmness. which leads me to my next point. these shocks/springs are HARD...REAL HARD. I dont recommand them for daily use. for racing, they are great, the car does not roll around turns and keeps the chasis stiff and rigit. however, after 3 months use, i had to send my alpine deck in for warrenty for it rattled it apart. well thats my 2 cents.

Post subject: Re: ssgti coil overs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:38 pm 

magicn3ss wrote:
well i recently purchased the complete ssgti coil over kit. I must say I am indifferent about them. First off, they do not lower the car at all. the rears are not adjustable, but claim they lower the car 45mm. Mine were installed professianly and the car was not lower. the front however were installed being 'dumped' all the way and still did not appear lower. I suppose if you cut a coil it will appear lower. however, i did not install performance suspention to lower the car, i got it to handle better. honestly i wasnt worried about the drop. a car too low can cause issues. sure it looks nice, but i wanted firmness. which leads me to my next point. these shocks/springs are HARD...REAL HARD. I dont recommand them for daily use. for racing, they are great, the car does not roll around turns and keeps the chasis stiff and rigit. however, after 3 months use, i had to send my alpine deck in for warrenty for it rattled it apart. well thats my 2 cents.

Dont blame a coilover for stiff ride.
You say you wanted handling, but are complaining about stiff ride. :huh:
When you say your coilovers dont lower the car, maybe your old springs were already lowered?

Shocks while being generally matched to springs will not significantly increase stiffeness of the ride if the springs are soft. Get softer springs.
Ask about the springs you were given and their specifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:43 pm 

I'm sure a moderator will catch this soon...the "product reviews" section is the best place for this thread.

Having said that, sorry to hear about your dissapointment. I was oh so close to buying those a while back. What turned me off to buying those shocks is that there was no provision for dampening or rebound adjustment...or at least it was not advertised. Thanks for sharing your experience magicn3ss.

-Rogelio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:28 pm 

sorry to post in the wrong forum, i dont use it often. but yes, i knew coil overs would stiffen it but not that much. ive been in cars with coil overs without a damp. install. and yes again, it sux that theres no damp. kits available...that i know of. oh well, you have to sacrifice comfort for performance and vise versa no?
take care all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:30 pm 

Hey magic, I want to make you and others aware of an option (a rather expensive one) for adjustable coilover(front) suspension for the MK2-3 GT(i). A company named LEDA based in the UK makes kits for the Swift. They are famous in Europe but little known in the states. My kit cost $1600.00+. Unfortunately as I no longer live in the UK, I had to go through a U.S. distributor. Racer's Edge: http://www.racersedge-inc.com/

They are of the best quality and give you that progressive dampening you were looking for. Even at near max setting, the road feel is smooth but very firm. I definitely got what I paid for. Here is a pic:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:03 pm 

wow that looks nice. the problem is i already have coil overs installed. i would love to find a damp. kit that would bolt up to my existing setup from ssgti. hrmm we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:24 pm 

Supposedly the LEDA kit is highly recommended for rally swifts. I've only heard good things about it!

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:37 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Firstly you need to take the springs out and get them tested, I wouldn't put anything in my car unless I knew what the spring rate is, for a road car 200-300lbs is good or you could run progressive rate coils or two coils stacked on each other ie, 200mm freeheight 400lb spring and a 75lb 75mm 'keeper' spring on top.

Get a suitable spring rate first and then sort out damping later, if you're not in the ballpark spring rate to begin with you'll have all sorts of other issues.

Honestly take the springs out, get them tested and once you have some numbers get back to us and we can help you out.