TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:32 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:37 pm 

Review:

From the name your gonna guess what I have to say about this one.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Universal-Oil-Reserv ... dZViewItem

It looks like that one. I was lucky, I got one with some sealing pads for underneath inlet/outlet.

If you want a hobby project. You should get one of these, if your looking for something that bolts straight in and will work... Don't!

The workmanship is that of "Made in China". The mount isn't bent properly to hold the can in a 90 degree position, the holes leading up to the inlet/outlet lines are 4mm, so can we say restrictive.

The paint is of an ok quality, you can tell the unit was never ever touched with a primer through as the paint will try to flake off if you scratch it, also it will peel off when you remove the hardware that is attached to the unit.

The hose adapters don't sit flush in their seats so you are going to get blow by, since the threads alone won't seal. Need to upgrade to teflon tape on there.

The sight tube for level is held in place by push clamps that use small teeth to latch onto the hose. I'm not too shure if that's gonna hold the witches brew back. The holes it mounts into are not straight up and down from each other either, so it runs on a angle.

The one bright side is the drainscrew seems to sit flush against it's rubber O-ring, and is in a good position to allow for easy draining. The supplied mounting hardware allows for a varity of fitment, it includes an extra block off if you have an extra vent line. The can itself is made completely out of aluminum and almost all the hardware is too, some brass hose adaptors, steel screws, and some plastic bits.

Rating:

Good if you want to cheat on the initial steps of building your own. Some assembly required, too much for your average novice, dremel type tool owners really should only apply to own. Price is fair for what you get, even after shipping.

** out of *****

Mods as planned:

(a)-Cut open the supplied inlet/outlet hardware or mount at 45 to each other in the wall of the can the inlet outlet hose adaptors.

-or-

(b)-Install current hose adaptors into side walls, get another adaptor, intstall one of the current inlets, seal second hole, run the PCV into the unrestricted sidewall hole, run the free breather line into the semi restricted inlet, and then run one outlet to the intake manifold. Either blocking off or installing a small filter onto the inlet in the main air intake that used to have the free breathing line attached.

-Install metal baffles to help redirect, slow down, and seperate particulate from air stream. Will also include various pieces of synthetic steel wool, medium and fine at critical filtration points.

-Replace cheap lines and level(view) sight line with tygon(never crack stuff).

-Use an epoxy to seal the level sight at the possible leak points. Use a thread sealer that is gas/oil resistant on any screw threads/inserts to be semi-permanently installed.

-use a rubber/foam rubber collar where the worm clamp locks the one bracket to the tank. To help limit the amount of vibration transferred to the tank to limit foaming of contents.

Final result = a worth while and very good at it's job oil catch tank.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:45 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Funny you should review this catch can since I bought one a little over a year ago. When I had it installed it worked perfectly fine. No leaking no problems. The sight 'glass' wasn't very useful since it stained the first time oil got on it, but other than that it stayed together and did exactly what it was supposed to do. You need to empty the can when you get to about 1/2 full since there isn't anything inside to keep the oil from being sucked back out... too bad the sight glass isn't see-through anymore. :roll:

Only used one mount on the top, fastened the mount to the top of the passenger's side strut tower and used one of the large round hose clamps to hold it there.

I'd rate it more than 2/5... more like 3/5 since it did it's job the way it was supposed to with not much hassle.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:57 am 

Thanks for that, I'll switch out the sight glass, with some better stuff.

Maybe mine was a dud and just didn't get caught by quality control.

But eyoi... I have mine chopped open and I'm laying out the deflectors/filter layers right now.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:15 am 

i had one just like this. after about a month, there was only like an inch collected in the bottom and it had still been letting some of that nasty stuff back into the intake anyways (the hose was all full of it and the intake was wet too) so i yanked it out. if i ever do one again, ill be getting one that has some filters inside. this just looks fancy, thats all.

"Life's a rally, cut corners"