TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:31 am 

Well...

8000Km

Iridium + Platinum + some other metal = decent plug?

There is no really noticeable electrode wear. You can see spark tracks cleaning off the ceramic to all 4 electrodes.

Car still fires up and runs happy.

After hearing so many horror stories about these plugs, after I bought them. :roll: I thought I should put in a good word for these ones.

I picked them up on sale for 18.00 a set. I could get 3 sets of NGK V-Power plugs to one set of these.

Do these make a difference. Well I put them in to replace the charred remains of some NGK platinums that had been destroyed by 10 year old factory spark plug leads. So they cleaned up the stuttering, hard starting at times, and yaddi yaddi. They are doing quite well besides the lovely carbon coating(exhaust leaks right now and it's causing the car to run a wee bit rich).

Very expensive, but they seem to be working well. Maybe Bosch finally put out a good spark plug. From what I see they should last a very long time, but they still cost a little too much. At twice what regular platinum plugs run.

The Foo Rating is:

*** out of ****

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

Last edited by gamefoo21 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:23 pm 

Meh, I like my $1.79 USD NGK v-power plugs. I'll never own another bosch spark plug after 2 platinum plug problems on 2 different cars.

This is my hooptie, there are many like it but this one is mine. With out my hooptie I am walking and without me my hooptie is broken down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:21 am 

These definantly aren't cheap at around $8.00 a plug can be cheaper or more. But they use different alloys in everything and it seems to have paid off. I have no experience with the regular platinums, +2 or +4 units.

I've had alot of good success with the NGK, and I like their iridium plugs they have. Use em in sleds to great success. If they can start a 30 year old 2 stroke, they are good in my books. Also even less money at usually $6 per plug.

The NGK V-Power at $2 per plug are the econo models, do a good job just change them like you would with regular plugs, because they do wear out. Do a good job while fresh though.

The NGK G-Power are the platinum plugs are they are mleh... almost as much as iridium and they seem to have the same short comings at times as the bosch Platinum plugs.

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:36 pm 

I installed the NGK V-Power, the lowest end of the NGK I could get ahold of, with their fancy V groove in the electrode. But they are a copper/nickle basic plug.

I pulled the Bosches just to check.(Car does start Quicker with the Bosches installed and cold weather.)

Car did seem to start quicker with them installed.

There are tracks from the spark burning the carbon/sediment off the ceramic leading to all 4 ground electrodes. So it was using all 4 paths.

There was zero wear, and I've put another 4-5000 km on with these in the motor for about 12-13,000 total.

Only issue was, I didn't use anti seize and it seemed that on cylinder one, it was having blow by issues, carbon and crap, and the plug boot kept popping off. This is why I changed the plugs.