TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:35 pm 

For some time I was looking for an alternative to replace my copper radiator on my 5 speed 1994 Swift GT. It is my daily driver and I do rally-crosses, solosprint and track days with it. I had a rebuilt radiator that had around 4 years old, and it was beginning overheationg a bit on race days. I have a modified NA 1.3 twin cam engine. I was looking for something that would offer more cooling without going for a custom-made radiator.

I saw that somebody on this forum already find an alu radiator and I contacted him, just to know after that my local radiator shop has the same. The manufacturer is Auto-Kool (white and green box). The rad was very well packaged and priced : 150$ (CAN). There was only one bad thing : my car had the longer one (13.75 in) and this length radiator was available only for the automatic cars. On these rad versions, the lower outlet is not on the same side than on the manual cars. I wanted the extra cooling capacity of the longer one, but not re-route my hoses... So I asked the rad shop to replace the lower tank from this one for a tank from my old radiator, and voila! They did it at no charge. There is a version available for manual trans, but it is 1in shorter. Measure yours before ordering. The difference is in the lower bracket...

My car, that was overheating after a couple of laps with shift around 7500RPM, easily passed 3 big days of track 2 weeks ago at Calabogie, without any sign of overheating. The temperature gauge needle is in the center and does not go higher, never.

The rad is great quality, 1 row aluminum, with plastic tanks. I was not sure if 1row would be enough, but now, I have no more doubts! Aluminum has a better thermal transfer capacity than copper. Here is the manufacturer website : http://www.auto-kool.com/en/index.shtml

There is also somebody that sell them by internet and they ship from Toronto. I don't know if they have US distributors. His name is Rajiv. You can find his contact info on this forum with the search function...

If you are looking for a replacement rad for your car, I highly recommend it, it is track tested! :twisted:

Philippe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:44 pm 
King of Pompous

Was your car overheating on a fast track like Calabogie before or was it on a shorter/slower track?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:44 am 

I would just like to add...

Copper > Aluminum in thermal absorbtion
Copper < Aluminum in thermal transfer.

Copper will accept more heat than aluminum, but it dumps it slightly slower. This is why the cpu coolers which are dealing in high heatloads are all using copper cores. Another example, the pipes running through commercial heavy duty cooling units, use copper with the fins either copper or aluminum.

Phillipe, did you flush your cooling system in the 4 years you had run the other radiator? Even run flushing chemicals through to peel off the scale and build up?

I only ask because a multi-row copper core/aluminum fin radiator should decimate a single row, but similarly built aluminum unit.

I'm looking at a remote mount coolant filter for my car, just splice it in before it goes into the heater core. Keeps the core clean, and the coolant is always running through there, it's 5/8" line, and that makes it easy to fit.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:29 pm 

m wrote:
Was your car overheating on a fast track like Calabogie before or was it on a shorter/slower track?

Well... I had overheating problems this spring (at Sanair road circuit, slower than Calabogie), so I installed an oil cooler. It helped, but did not completely solved the problem. At ICAR (slower that Calagobie, but with a 800m straight), it was still overheating. I had to shift around 6000 RPM and the temperature was ok. My first event with the alu radiator was Ste-Croix, which is short and slow. No overheating, even while running hard. So I was pretty sure at this time that the radiator solved my problem.

I also have to say that I have a highly modified NA engine. It has 112 WHP.

gamefoo21 wrote:
Phillipe, did you flush your cooling system in the 4 years you had run the other radiator? Even run flushing chemicals through to peel off the scale and build up?

Zac, you are right, I forgot to talk about coolant. I changed coolant every 2 years. There was white scale inside the radiator, but I did not try a chemical 'rad cleaner'.

I also forgot to mention that the alu radiator is 1in thick, which is a bit less than the OEM Suzuki radiator, but more than the 1995-2001 very thin radiators...

My main goal in this write-up was to share the information that aluminum radiators were readily available (and affordable) for the Swift GT, which was a surprise for me even if I race these car for 9 years now. :)

Edit : 9 years of racing, I am not that old...
Philippe

Last edited by Philippe on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:38 am 

Philippe wrote:

Zac, you are right, I forgot to talk about coolant. I changed coolant every 2 years. There was white scale inside the radiator, but I did not try a chemical 'rad cleaner'.

I also forgot to mention that the alu radiator is 1in thick, which is a bit less than the OEM Suzuki radiator, but more than the 1995-2001 very thin radiators...

My main goal in this write-up was to share the information that aluminum radiators were readily available (and affordable) for the Swift GT, which was a surprise for me even if I race these car for 19 years now. :)

Philippe

This is good news, rads don't last forever. :D

Also a good reason to punch flushing chemicals through the coolant system before changing out the fluid.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah