TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:28 am 

Can be found here: http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=1542.

Also included is a review of the sr20de tb swap.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:09 pm 

I'd say this is EXACTLY what belongs here. Reviews of products, just like the pulley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:26 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

there's a number of threads on the merits/risks of running an underdrive pulley i would check with them.
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=1882
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=4133
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=1675
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=1605
this section is for reviewing actual products, not debating physics & various theories. firsthand experience.

I have a single underdrive pulley on my gt purchased through the webstore ~1 year ago and it's made by rotational dynamics. quality was great, finish was more pink then red, but the results were awesome. no g-tech to test with, but my speed @ the end of the freeway on-ramp i took everyday increased by a few km/hr and the car felt considerably quicker accelerating in the first few gears.
:thumbsup: I would rank it as being an excellent value (~$70), up there with 'toms' rally chip(~$50) and swaping the stock airbox for a cone filter(maf adapter/filter, ebay ~$15-20).
i've had no related failures during it's use, however the "gatorback" belt i bought from the parts store squealed a lot until some of the anodizing on the pulley surface wore off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:09 am 

just had the underdrive pulley installed...

definitely could feel a slight increase in pull in all the gears...

bit noisier than before but prob coz of what the fella in the previous post said...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:59 pm 

I just installed mine (same as above from Adam/bigbear) on a 1991 Swift GT and so far the experience has been excellent. First of all, the fit and finish of the pulley is first rate and it looks and feels strong. It fits the car perfectly with no play when pushed onto the crank timing gear.

With the 31" PowerTorque belt from Canadian Tire (#310K4) this put the alternator in a position that made it easier to tighten the belt fully than with the stock belt and pulley: I have not expierienced any squealing after 100km of use. In fact, the engine seemed slightly quieter after installing the pulley, possibly due to the accessories turning slower.

Although I cannot feel a definite power increase after installing the pulley (I did not touch the timing belt), I sense that this is a small incremental change that does not trigger my butt dyno on its own but combined with removing the spare tire and changing to ultralight forged rims earlier this summer (also resulting in small incremental changes) the car is considerably snappier than before all the changes.

I'd also like to point out, to people worried about damaging the engine by removing the stock harmonic balancer, that the stock balancer on the Swift is the same one as on the 3 cyl Sprint and likely the same as the SOHC 1.3. I have read that these balancers should not be removed as they are neccessary and precisely matched to the cranks to prevent standing wave formations but if that were the case then why is the same balancer being found on at least two different Suzuki engines? I'm not worried. The engine sounds great up to 8K with the new pulley.

This mod is a great way to remove a few pounds of cast iron from the car, costs little and is quick to install (1 hr).