TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:37 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:45 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

:thumbsup:
I've tried a number of chips so far, "toms" is my favorite so far.
cheap to buy, but you'll pay considerably more for fuel in the long run. the car runs richer in almost all situations, and there's some light popping noises from the exhaust when decellerating. not a huge power increase vs. when i simply had my timing heavily advanced, however the car does seem 'smoother'. i have always run the car w/ 91-94 octane fuel and used base 13 degrees timing advance prior to installing the chip, now have base 6 degrees advance, haven't tried pushing the timing ahead again.
definate downside is the complete lack of a rev limiter, it would be good to see one added somewhere around ~8500rpm.

i would also like to see a "turbo" version of toms chip w/ a less aggressive timing map.

Last edited by n1tr0 on Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: agree on the toms chip
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:57 pm 

the toms chip is great! i've had it in my car for over a year and it has been nothing but smiles since then...pulls harder in every gear, especially after 3500 rpm. i would recommend this to anyone with a swift, no need to play around with timing, adds it for you as well as increased fuel. for $50.00 it definitely the best bang for your buck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:21 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I was initially sceptical about how much power a firmware revision to the ECU would provide. After all, it can't tell the engine hardware to break the laws of physics can it? Boy was I surprised after I soldered the chip in! A friend of mine even commented that the engine sounded much stronger when I was tearing up the hill by his house. The stock ECU is certainly detuned a fair bit for emissions and poor North American fuel.
I've notice previously that if I forgot the car in 2nd gear at a stop, it would stall the engine if I tried moving it again. Now it only bogs, and that's with a passenger! Driveability has improved, especially with a lot of stop and go city driving with a broad-ratio gear box.
Not having a rev-limiter gives you greater freedom in modding the engine, and you don't have to worry about bouncing off the limiter when you're racing. My rev-limiter is provided by my MSD ignition and it's adjustable. I've notice that the engine seems to run smoother with the chip (I guess no O2 sensor feedback?) but it does every once in a while have an issue where the engine stumbles and dies when its cold. It doesn't happen too often, I don't consider it a problem just a quirk.
Overal the chip is great value, and a lot of fun! (especially chirping the tires going into 2nd gear :twisted: )

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:28 am 

i have one... runs great... engine more smooth... pulls hard ;) i liked... just one small thing... the engine check light is on sometimes :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:40 am 

is this chip the same as the rospen 128k eprom chip? the rospen chip is also a very fierce chip. this rospen 128k chip when use on a mk3 gti also gives a check engine light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:56 am 

veg07z wrote:
is this chip the same as the rospen 128k eprom chip? the rospen chip is also a very fierce chip. this rospen 128k chip when use on a mk3 gti also gives a check engine light.

dont know.... but is a 256k eprom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:33 pm 

Hi there,

I'm new around the block and was wondering, where can I get this "Tom's" Chip from ?

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:41 pm 

sweeft wrote:
Hi there,

I'm new around the block and was wondering, where can I get this "Tom's" Chip from ?

Regards,

You can get from my webstore. You can find the links in my sig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:05 am 

which chip powers more kw into your engine, The GTI performance chip Rally chip or Stage 2 Extreme street/Race performance chip?

Whats the difference between these 2? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both these chips??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:39 am 

Bigbearzuke wrote:
sweeft wrote:
Hi there,

Regards,

You can get from my webstore. You can find the links in my sig.

Tks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:19 pm 

Hey i am having problems with the Toms chip....I had it put in and now the car doesnt rev past 3000 rpm...beyond that it starts to sputter/struggle. Also the smell of gas is very strong, indicating it is running rich. The timing is stock so I know its not that....what could be the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:10 pm 

Ok I managed to get this sorted out. The electrician had to use parts from another ECU box to get the chip to work. Apparently the chip does not work straight away on a 96 GTi. Has anyone with a 96 GTI had this problem?

Next thing: the car definitely feels stronger through every gear so I know the timing has been advanced. However I still have a rev limiter at 7500 RPMs. I thought the chip was supposed to remove the redline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:06 pm 

Can someone tell me the difference between the stage 1 and 2 toms chip?? maybe pm me if possible i might forget to look back here.

thanks alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:13 am 
Sad but True...

See there is only 1 "Tom's"chip.The stage ones,are different.Tom's chip i believe (correct me if I am wrong) is the rally chip.

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:52 pm 

Yeah, Toms chip is the rally chip.

I installed the chip today and immediately took the car for a drive on the highway. What is the most noticeable feeling is "smooth"..... really smooth. And pulls hard at every gear as well.

Ever since I bought the car in 1989, I have never experienced the engine to be running this good, even 16yrs ago at the dealer.

Highly recommend.....

:D

Post subject: clarification
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:25 pm 

can someone who has any experience or knowledge SEPERATELY explain the differences in

1)suzuki RD stage 1 and stage 2 chips?
2)ssgti.com stage 1 and stage 2 chips?
3)occracing stage 1, stage 2 and rally chips?

thankyou for your time.

Nahin

Post subject: one more thing
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:26 pm 

are any of these chip "self learning" types...if not is it possible to acquire that kinda ecm/chips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:17 pm 

would it be alright to put this chip into an engine with very minor mods done to it? or is it geared more towards the high end motor setups? will be put into a 94 gt if it makes a difference.

Post subject: mods
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:16 am 

this chip will make a difference on a completely stock swift. actually most people do this mod first as its the cheapest bang for your buck

Post subject: A negative review
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:47 pm 

After having the Tom's chip in my car for a few years then going back to the stock chip, I have gained more perspective. I also ran an older, very high mileage GTi with the chip.

The rally chip improved the driveability of the older Swift immensely. I no longer own that car, but I now believe that running a K&N in that car for so long may have gummed up the MAF hotwire a little, and that the rally chip helped overcome that by running rich, especially when transitioning to throttle on.

The Swift that I'm dealing with now still uses the stock filter and has low kms. When I replaced the rally chip with the stock one recently, I found that compared to when it had the rally chip, the car hesitated on transition from throttle off to throttle on, but a heavy timing advance fixed that. In fact, when running 91 octane gas and having the timing advanced as far as possible without pinging, I cannot notice the difference between the two, other than the exhaust popping during deceleration with the rally chip and, of course, no rev limit. Well, not quite; I can't get the stock chip to be quite as smooth as the rally chip for initial acceleration but it's *alot* better than it was with stock timing and regular (87) octane. There is no way this chip is going to give you the advertised 10-15hp gain with a stock engine, but it might if you have high compression/cams.

My car is white and super, super clean; the thing I really disliked about the rally chip is that soot would build up on the back bumper of the car fairly quickly and that stuff does not come off as easily as 'regular' dirt. That is why I decided to put the regular chip back in and tune the car carefully. I was also worried that the exhaust cat would live a short life with the engine running so rich all the time. I now believe that the rally chip is of no gain for a stock setup when everything is adjusted optimally for performance (idle speed, TPS, timing) unless you have some fairly serious performance mods, which I don't (only a genie header and 2" exhaust), or perhaps if your car has something like a MAF problem that is causing it to run leaner than it should.

Still, for the ridiculously low price, I think it's worth trying the chip out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:08 pm 
King of Pompous

Welsh Swift wrote:
I know there's a couple of threads on this already but I thought I would make my own and share my opinions/experiences and maybe offer some help to someone!

Buying the chip

I bought mine on ebay for £25 although they are available through this website. the package included an IC socket to make chip switching easier, very handy if you wish to return to the stock chip. I also sourced a spare ECU via ebay incase I damaged my current one, something I would recommend doing, however, its not too important.

Installing the chip

This was my biggest problem, auto electric stores can do it for you as can computer repair shops however prices tend to be very high and most where very unsure of the procedure. I was recommended to take my chip down to the local university/college and let them have a look. I guess it was my lucky day as the head technician did it there and then for me, from desoldering the stock chip to soldering the new socket it took roughly 10 minutes.

removal and re-installing the ECU

Did someone say pain in the @ss?? The ECU is located under the drivers side dash. find the fuse box (its white with loads of wires and connectors) the ecu is just above this. VERY tight space and not much room to move. It might seem impossible at first but stick with it. Here are some things I found very helpful.

- first off make sure both chairs are right back, you need all the room you can get.
- take off all the unnecessaryplastic pieces from under the dash to free more room.
- take out the front speaker it makes a nice hole to put your hadn through.
- long extension bar.

theres only three bolts, 10mm in size and also a screwdriver slot in the middle. be patient and get them undone. The new ECU just plugs into the three connectors, very straightforwards. Just reversetoput it all back together.

first impressions, the good and the bad

The car started up first time, I let her tick over for awhile with no misfires etc throttle was responsive. Taking off the car pretty much felt the same, through streets and stuff it feels much more torquey, definitly doesnt feel like a 1.3. driving passed 4000rpm rewards you with a nice little boost of speed, similar to the powerband on a 2stroke crosser. I did have high expectations of this and for the £27 I spent I think its a VERY worthy upgrade, some people though have exaggertaed it a little bit.

You can expect more torque and more power in the upper rpms but nothing huge. 1st 2nd and 3rd gears are very rapid, 120mph is achievable in 4th gear.

bad bits

- bit jerky, definitly makes the car run rich, I will be installing cams to balance this out. if you dont like your car sounding rough I wouldnt buy this chip.

-4th and 5th gears feel the same, top speed is a little higher though.

- you need to use more expensive fuel.

good bits

- more power and torque, great for overtakes, just hold it at 4000rpm put your foot down and your away.

- no rev limiter, i hated hitting the limiter. you would be a fool to over rev the car as its clearly not making any power after 8000rpm.

- blup blup blup noises from exhaust, to quote my girlfriend 'it sounds like thunder'

Hope this helps someone, if ahyone needs any questions asking let me know!

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:09 pm 
King of Pompous

Welsh Swift wrote:
I know there's a couple of threads on this already but I thought I would make my own

Don't make a new thread. There is a reason we keep them together in here.

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:10 pm 

I've had mine for more than a moth now. One word to describe this chip: AWESOME!!!
1st to 3th gear are just impressive :shock: ; perfect for the 1/4 mile!. One day later I installed a single underdrive pulley with it and it's just even more amazing.

Powerwise there is no need to rev to the rev limiter of 8600 if you have stock cams. 7500 is enough. Although 8000rpm is exciting to reach and to hear.

Check engine light is always on in mine; Euro-spec GTi. But I can live with that. 8)

Highly recommended!

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:17 am 

I use my car in a little compettition on weekends and was considering buying either an SSGTI or SRD stage 2 chip, but after reading your comments I think Im willing to try this chip instead.

I have a Cultus engine in my car, except without the intake manifold, the guy I got it from took it off and sold it :( , trying to locate another,
does anyone have any idea how to get the check engine light to switch back off??

Has anyone compared this chip with the SSGTI and SRD ones, are those tamer???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

yes they are tamer