TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:02 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The MSD Digital 6 Plus is a fairly comprehensive package when you open the box. The main ignition box consists of an extruded aluminum heatsink, with a red anodized finish. All the wiring is terminated with connectors, so you really don't need to cut any of the wires. It has concise instructions with numerious wiring diagrams to help you. It also includes all the screws, brackets, clips and other hardware you need to install it. It even comes with a micro screwdriver for adjusting the dials on the end of the unit.
To make it work you will also need an ignition coil and the tach adapter. I used an MSD Blaster HVC II Coil and a 8910EIS Tach Adapter. Specific details regarding installation are cover here.
This ignition is a bit overkill for a mildly modded car, but it should be more than sufficient if you're planning on running a lot of boost or nitrous. MSD's ignitions work by zapping the fuel/air charge many times at lower RPM's (MSD = Multiple Spark Discharge) and a single powerful spark at high RPM's.
I've noticed a definate improvement in power with this unit (sorry no dyno data) especially at the lower end of the RPM band. I never realized how poor the stock ignition was, until I replaced it with something better. The MSD also complements the rally chip quite well, too. The MSD does a much better job of lighting the richer fuel mixture, and it also provides an adjustable rev-limiter (in the event your ECU has it's rev-limiter disabled). The rev-limiter can be adjusted anywhere from 100 RPM to 12500 RPM in 100 RPM increments. It also has a secondary rev-limiter if you need one for launching or doing controlled burnouts. Other features include a start retard, and a single-stage nitrous retard.
This is the same ignition as the MSD Digital SCI+ (the SCI is targeted towards the import/sport compact market, and comes in a gun-metal color). The MSD Digital 6 Plus is CARB approved for all US states.

MSD's Digitial 6 Plus information page: http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_18.htm
MSD main webpage:http://www.msdignition.com

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:54 pm 

I would concour... the msd was more than I expected. removed a "jacobs ICE" ignition. noticable power and drivability improvements. was getting close to 40 m.p.g. on my slightly modified swift. would reccommend to anyone. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:49 pm 

How much would the whole set-up cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:21 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The ignition module was ~$400ish, the coil was $150, I also bought new Aurora wires, wire clips, a tube of dielectric gel and probably some misc electrical connectors. After paying the taxman, I probably spent about ~$700 for the complete upgrade to the ignition system.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject: msd
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:12 pm 

would the digital sci be just as good ? for a N/A setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:14 pm 

by the way i got qouted $835 aus dollar for what your running, so it doesn't sound to much lol.

Post subject: Re: msd
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:23 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

who cares wrote:
would the digital sci be just as good ? for a N/A setup?

The Digital SCI is the same as the Digital 6, only with a grey case.

maybe a picture Thanks