TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:02 pm 
Teamswift Racer

OK, thats interesting, I got several rubber mounts and brackets from the wrecker, the bottom one in your photo didn't clear the cam cover on my Dohc engine, although the rubber mount looks as though it's angled differently, unfortunately I didn't try the 3 cyl alloy bracket, I got Jon (Nzswift) to go out with a torch late at night to measure where his bracket sits in his gti and realised they were in a different location.
It's amazing how many little details are different. :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 pm 

so do i have to move the mount or not? i am confused because i am going to start this soon since my 3cyl is pretty well dead and im pretty sure ive got everything else but the motor mounts dont make sense to me do i relocate them or not?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

here's a late update to this thread.

as dattman posted, there is a difference between the automatic chassis' right side mount and the twincam manual's right side mount. if the donor chassis was a manual, that mount should be in the right location.

as noted by Gasoline Fumes, there are several difference between the g10 motor mount and the g13b motor mount as shown in his pic. along with the differing cast materials, the length, bolt pattern, bushing, and bushing bolts' orientation are dissimilar.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject: Another update
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 am 

I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but I made a note of where the cam/timing belt side mount brackets are on the cars I have. My '94 Metro with the G10 and the automatic has the mount spot welded further back, like in the pic Dattman posted. Like I mentioned previously, I reused the aluminum mount from the auto G10 when I put a G13 in the car. The cast iron G13 mount wouldn't line up. I did slightly elongate the bolt holes in the G10 mount where the steel/rubber half bolts to the aluminum half, but it wasn't absolutely required. Now for the new information. A '90 and '91 G13 Swift with the 5-spd have the mount bracket more towards the front, again like in Dattman's pic. But the '93 Metro I just got (G10, 5-spd), also has the bracket in the forward position. So would it be safe to conclude that the difference in the mount bracket location comes from the transmission fitted and not the engine?

So going from a manual G10 to a manual G13 will use the G13 mount. And going from an auto G10 to a manual G13 will require using the G10 mount or moving the spot welded bracket forward.

But what about auto G10 to manual G10, or auto G13 to manual G13, or auto G13 to manual G10, or manual G13 to manual G10? Anybody know? I intentionally left out any combination that ends up an auto, who would do that? :lol:

And are there only two mounts and two mount bracket locations? Or is it more complex than that? I have two different cast iron manual G13 mounts, but I assume they are interchangable. I don't have an auto G13 to look at, so I have no idea how those mounts are.

If anything is unclear or wrong, let me know. With over 8000 members here, we can figure this out. :mrgreen:

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:57 am 

hi i am currently in the middle of putting a gti engine into my 96 gls forest green swift. i tried lifting the engine in but the mounts do not line up. it looks like the mount needs to be moved as u just sed. are the two brakets different or can you use the 1.0l mount? do u have any mesurments on how far it needs to be moved? any info would help alot!!! cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:58 am 

dazzer wrote:
hi i am currently in the middle of putting a gti engine into my 96 gls forest green swift. i tried lifting the engine in but the mounts do not line up. it looks like the mount needs to be moved as u just sed. are the two brakets different or can you use the 1.0l mount? do u have any mesurments on how far it needs to be moved? any info would help alot!!! cheers

Which mount? The mount on the gearbox side needs to be moved. But based on the cars I have here, the belt-side brackets should be in the same location on both the 1.0 and 1.3 manual cars. So once you move the gearbox mount, all three GTi mounts should work for you.

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:05 pm 

Here's my scenario;

I bought a 1991 manual 3cyl Turbo Sprint and a 92' (MK3?) 4cyl 1.3L DOHC complete with ECU, all wire harnesses, engine mounts, steering column. Am I going to need to modify anything? Are the fuel pump, tranny, clutch compatible or will I have to invest in all those as well? I'm super n00b right now and any help is good help.

2006 Scion xB (fun-mobile)
1990/92 Suzuki Swift GTi TURBO (The GTiT)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:48 pm 

I'm doing a swap now and I put my G10 engine mount on the g13k and I think I can make it work. Just need to grind a little off the mount for the timing belt to clear.

Attachments:
100_2449.jpg
100_2449.jpg [ 328.83 KIB | Viewed 3525 times ]
100_2447.jpg
100_2447.jpg [ 294.57 KIB | Viewed 3523 times ]
100_2446.jpg
100_2446.jpg [ 307.83 KIB | Viewed 3520 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 pm 

Fixed :D

Attachments:
Timing belt 4.jpg
Timing belt 4.jpg [ 557.76 KIB | Viewed 3518 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56 am 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

I'm pretty sure that the 1.3L bracket is offset a different amount than the 1.0 bracket. Not to mention it's made of iron, not aluminum... I'm 99.9% sure that's not going to bolt in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:04 pm 

Ok, so today i went to drop my G13b into my Metro and i ran into a problem. I bought a complete mount set from a member, it was for a 5speed GTi. For some reason the drivers side bracket doesn't line up with the mount at all. The other two are fine, but this one is messed up. If i were to attach both the mount and bracket to the tranny it would be 3-4 inches in front(towards the headlights) of the hole where the mount was supposed to go.

Pics below...

Any ideas?

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 pm 

Didn't realize that the attached blueprint was for exactly what i needed...lol

Now i have a GTi linkage, but it isn't matching up with my transmission, the bar on the tranny is horizontal, and the linkage is vertical. Any tips?

Kyle

2014 BRZ Limited in WRB - The car payment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:05 pm 

Hi first post (I can lurk and figure most things out got myself). I'm swaping a 92 g13b with trans/wiring harness and ecu complete, into a 94 1.0 liter chassis...thought I had everything but the pictures explain my dilema.
On the PERFECT chassis with A/C and PERFECT interior (well 18yo and used perfect)

On the engine harness already installed on the car and into the dash

Went to the Junk yard and there was NO rhyme or reason to these plug differences, years varied from 89 to 94 models There were converts(2) sedans(4) 3doors (7). 1.0liter Engines X 6, 1.3SOC x 5, G13b X 2 (already got the brakes...lol) A/C cars didnt make a differance or Manual vs Auto either.... MOst cars had the single plug variation. 4 had the 2 plug...of course I have the two plug chassis with a single plug engine wiring harness.

We got 7 of the 8 wires with the correct colors...dash works car turns over no power to the injectors and weak spark......fuel pump works with the relay tied directly to the battey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:22 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

I'm pretty sure the body harness is different between the 1.0 and 1.3. They are pretty different beasts. I've never done a successful swap without also swapping the body harness. It involves tearing the dash out unfortunately (HUGE pain).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:30 pm 

thanks
I have a 1.3 single cam body harness Without AC can I leave all the 1.o ac bits and harness and just overlay the 1.3 harness...or how hard is the a/c wiring to add to my non AC harness?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

and i never swap the chassis harness, i splice the plug i have onto the engine harness.

the only thing to watch for is that your chassis doesn't have the support wiring for the oil pressure idiot light, the tachometer feed, and the external ignitor for the twincam engine. i add those wires.

don't buy into that whole "it's easier to swap the chassis harness" thing, either. you'll have the car apart for a week jacking around with the wiring while a half day's work of soldering on a mating connector will have you running. :wink:

the wiring colors match for the most part, there's fewer than a dozen to deal with, and the twincam shop manual has a very easy to read electrical schematic.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:28 pm 

well 1/2 a day gone and some progress...lol
I have the books and can follow a line

What has me stopped is that when I turn on the key the fuel pump switches on (then off) and the coil primary is hot but the engine doesn't fire. one lead to the power center is hot(the external ignitor it looks like) and the chassis harness though a 1.0 has a tach....and a firewall lead that looks like a conector for an oil pressor switch (just needs to be extended)...

So what am I missing?

Feeling stupid in the high Desert..

Robi

PS many thanks for all the hints and points in the right direction on this project.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 am 
Suzuki Elder

the g10 may have a tach but the twincam engine harness doesn't have the extension of the brown wire from the ecu that feeds the signal to it. the g10 sends the tach signal from the negative side of the coil via the chassis wiring to the instrument. when you swap to the twincam, you circumvent that wiring and you have to add the wire from the twincam engine harness to the connector that feeds the cluster.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:30 am 

image_id: 20913
these are the pin's for the idiot light and the tach signal.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:14 am 
Suzuki Elder

and this is the wire that you have to add to the twincam's wiring at the ecu to run to the green connector.

look in my album (button below) on page 17. the pics there have comments. hover over the pics there and you can read the secret clues to the swap wiring. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:11 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
look in my album (button below) on page 17. the pics there have comments. hover over the pics there and you can read the secret clues to the swap wiring.

Richard i was searching the forum and didnt find a wiring diagram just for the swap. I think it would be a help for people to see a diagram as well as your picture in your album. I was goin to make one and post it but i dont remember the color codes.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:47 pm 

OK update..
the starting problem was plugged injectors....DUH...yes from school you need compression spark AND FUEL!!! idiot...

tach works...with no assistance from me but "seems" to be running fast...
Car is running fine and we have even the AC working

I'm going to get flamed but the geo looks "dorky" when it is parked next to a Swift GT...
as this was a Geo swap now I have gon out and got a Swift hood....so I can get the drunkard avanti with square glasses look gone... picts up soon..should I post in the swap build?

or in the hi I'm new here....(own 4 geo/swifts..with enough parts to have 3 GT's and a single cam 1300....just 124K miles and one owner....

thanks for all the hints and help.
Still need to get the oil and tach but the car smogged, A/C is cold, stereo is loud and clear, and the twin cam is SINGING...all for 950 with tag title and insurance...(m labr is "free" lol) life is good!
Robi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm 

what do you guys think if i make a required parts list on how to swap a g13b on a mk1?

header with 2" pipe
2" lift in front
30" tires

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:47 pm 

I am in the middle of doing the swap to make my vert a GTI, I agree with all the things said here. I am trying to get the shifting link work out, along with some wiring issues as well, I have posted most of my stuff on the vert section, I am putting brand new CV's (stupid things came with ABS rings, my verts is pre-ABS era). My car is more now like MK1 now. I will put some pics up after I get the shifting link work out. Thanks to all of you for the information, I am using my vert transmission, I want to feel how it shifts with it, all the other parts are GTI.

The link below has the progress on my vert going GTI

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=48938

Cheers

Monte

Honda Pilot EX 4WD 2006
Honda odyssey EX 2013

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

monte, the verts' 4.39:1 ratio is the whip! :wink:

say hello to 8000rpm shifts. don't poop yourself. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II