TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 pm 

GeoZukiGTi wrote:
I had my 92' vert doing a 14.4 for about $1500(including the car). No turbo either :D I just recently picked up a turbo setup, so we'll see how it does in the summer when it's all done.

I saw a 98' talon TSi at a car lot today. Red with a black roof. It was beautiful, but the @ss wanted $7000 for it! :shock:

Cool. :) Damn that power to weight ratio ;)

98 Talons are beautiful indeed. $7000 is about the going price for the last year of the best looking DSM ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:09 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

are you serious!? geez. I guess supply and demand law works huh? lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:10 pm 

YUP! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:33 am 
banned

I would never pay that much for something thats going to jus break down :o Prev owner of my car ran a 15.3 in my car, showed me the slip, and I picked it up for 1500$ :/

(preemptive strike to TGString) <-- I didn't run the 15.3, he did :) Don't ask for a slip from me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:37 am 
Stupid is, as stupid does

subaru motor granted subi trannys suck id take an sti over an evo anyday o and by the way my best friend has a 500+hp talon and that car breaks more often then my billion mile geo ever has and its barely driven. and i wanna see you show me a awd dsm launch on stal trans more than 5 times and not get crank walk.

swarm wrote:
Quote:
theres one incorrect statement

Have any facts to back this up? Name another 4-cyl that is stronger than the 4g63.

Quote:
Maybe so, but try driving it hard for a few minutes and it'll go boom. I'm sure jarda could push crazy HP out of a swift stock block on a dyno, doesn't mean it'll last.
It is daily driven every day, and raced nearly every weekend. It's called good tuning :)
Quote:
Our cars could easily get into the 'stock time' of a DSM, cheaper than a DSM in decent condition would cost (which is rare anyways to find)

Really? Define easily - I'd genuinely like to know how this is done. You must keep the price of the car, and all mods under $3500, and must be capable of a 14.0 1/4 mile time. Car must also be in very, very good condition. I can find very, very good condition DSM's for $3500 all day long is stock form.
Quote:
The tranny's aren't strong at all, I don't see how you could even argue that they are. Obviously wasn't strong enough for you if you had to get a 'stage 4 tranny kit' and you are only running 11.3 (so you claim, timeslip please?).

I thought the stock tranny was good till 9seconds

Since you don't think the stock tranny is good to 9seconds, go ahead and google Jake Montgomery - He is running the stock tranny and running 9.98's.

I upgraded mine because I wanted the OPTION to switch from FWD to AWD. I can flip a switch on my tranny and go from AWD to FWD for dynoing purposes, because there is not an AWD dyno in my area.

Oh, and for the record - I'm not a ricer. Thanks! :)

35 shot n20 250 dollars

beating ricer honda kids with an egg shaped car priceless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:12 pm 

Knuckles wrote:
A friend of mine has a 1.8 turbo charged integra motor and tranny in his GTi.
It's 2wd and a 14 sec 1/4 mile car, and the engine is stock except for the bolt on turbo.

Well I dont know what your friend did wrong but here in the netherlands we have a swift with an b16 honda engine on low boost and runs 13 sec on the 1/4 mile and it is a stock engine. Look guys sometimes it all about making good combinations. The guys at puerto rico have a g13b swift engine, bored out for vitara pistons, shot peen the rods, stock crankshaft and they run 9,91 sec on the 1/4 mile for the guys who want proof here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQhtfyPyMM

and DMW dave is also good with his g13b turbo fastest and broke the record of fastest streettyre car on the 1/4 mile.. g13b is and will always stay the best engine.. my opinion..

here is a video of dmw dave

http://www.rdihost.com/zuboo/Movies/dragwarzdave1.mpg

http://www.rdihost.com/zuboo/Movies/dragwarzdave2.mpg

http://www.rdihost.com/zuboo/Movies/dragwarzdave3.mpg

good luck hope this gives you a better idea of what the g13b is capable of..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm 

shouldnt this thread be in the Geo to Gti and other engine swaps section NOT the 1.6l conversions and overbored motors section?? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:37 am 

droppedtracker wrote:
shouldnt this thread be in the Geo to Gti and other engine swaps section NOT the 1.6l conversions and overbored motors section?? :roll:

You are right but I was just responding on knuckles his reply, i am now building the 1.6 bottom with gti head and gti gearbox Independant throttlebodies, megasquirt version 3 programmable ecu, aluminium underdrive pulley, msd blaster coil, 8,5 mm plug wires with denso iridium sparkplugs and a custom 60mm no cat exhaust with a dnx muffler , still working on it will put pictures of the conversion as soon as I am done..

I think i should have above 120 hp atw... but i will be sure when it is done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:20 pm 
banned

suzuki91 wrote:
droppedtracker wrote:

You are right but I was just responding on knuckles his reply, i am now building the 1.6 bottom with gti head and gti gearbox Independant throttlebodies, megasquirt version 3 programmable ecu, aluminium underdrive pulley, msd blaster coil, 8,5 mm plug wires with denso iridium sparkplugs and a custom 60mm no cat exhaust with a dnx muffler , still working on it will put pictures of the conversion as soon as I am done..

I think i should have above 120 hp atw... but i will be sure when it is done

why all that for 120whp? sounds like so much work for such little performance :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:20 am 

Casey wrote:

why all that for 120whp? sounds like so much work for such little performance :/

:? thats a realistic goal. figure 145-150 at the flywheel. whats wrong with that??

better yet, how much you making atw WITH your turbo??? :wink:

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:23 am 

tuffcarguy wrote:
Casey wrote:

:? thats a realistic goal. figure 145-150 at the flywheel. whats wrong with that??

better yet, how much you making atw WITH your turbo??? :wink:

That's why I said I think 120 hp atw, sometimes people expect too much hp from their modifications and when the moment comes they become dissapointed... I know I can expect more hp but I will see for my self when the engine is ready and in the car, because then I'll drive it to the dyno :D

The problem with making the 1.6 conversion turbo costs alot of money, first of all the rods could bend deppending on your goal the crank can handle like 250 hp and the rods will be safe at 200 hp, you can maybe get more out of it by shotpeening the rods, but better to buy forged crank and rods but are expensive..(that is if you want to turbo the 1.6.

I'm just trying out the 1.6 conversion on the NA base for a change. If I would go turbo i'll use the g13b, bore out the block to fit vitara pistons, shot peen the rods and fit a T3 0,66 turbo... believe me you can get lots of horsepower out of that setup as long as you provide enough fuel.. ect ect...

While i'm driving in my 1.6 conversion engine with ITB's i'm building my g13b turbo engine.. but for now i'll give the honda's a little headache on the streets with the 1.6 dohc itb engine :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:36 pm 
banned

I jus wondered cus I'm right at 98-99whp atm in my swift with minor mods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:34 pm 

Casey wrote:

I understand, what minor mods have you done if I may ask?? Do you take your car to the drag strip too?? What time did you run?? I expect my 1.6 conversion with gti gearbox to run in the 14 sec range, I could be wrong, but it's a chance I'm willing to take, the 1.6 conversion isn't that expensive to build, a little welding and drilling and knowing what parts to use and in a short time you are finished, here in the netherlands the car wreckers have 2 - 3 sedans so it is easy to get a g16a engine block...

I made a list of things to buy and i'm not over the 500 euro's with this conversion, ITB's you can make yourself they cost 100 dollars from ebay, you cut the original intake manifold weld 4 aluminium tubes and bolt on, a little fitting with the throttle cables, but if you are a little handy it isn't impossible, a megasquirt version 3 goes for 190 dollars, and where many people make a mistake is that they dont buy or install a wide band sensor to see if they have enough fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:41 pm 
banned

suzuki91 wrote:
Casey wrote:

I understand, what minor mods have you done if I may ask?? Do you take your car to the drag strip too?? What time did you run?? I expect my 1.6 conversion with gti gearbox to run in the 14 sec range, I could be wrong, but it's a chance I'm willing to take, the 1.6 conversion isn't that expensive to build, a little welding and drilling and knowing what parts to use and in a short time you are finished, here in the netherlands the car wreckers have 2 - 3 sedans so it is easy to get a g16a engine block...

I made a list of things to buy and i'm not over the 500 euro's with this conversion, ITB's you can make yourself they cost 100 dollars from ebay, you cut the original intake manifold weld 4 aluminium tubes and bolt on, a little fitting with the throttle cables, but if you are a little handy it isn't impossible, a megasquirt version 3 goes for 190 dollars, and where many people make a mistake is that they dont buy or install a wide band sensor to see if they have enough fuel.

I don't know much about Megasquirt, nor do I have the skills to make ITB :) I think all my mods are on my garage (not positive), and I ran 91whp before I put in NGK iridium plugs, 3tech 9mm wires, and the SuzukiRD header. I had a full 2in back exhaust no cat, jus a cherry.

I haven't taken the car to the track myself, nor do I know exactly what the guy who owned it before me did to the car completely. He did show me a slip of 15.3 and said it was for the swift but I donna for a fact.

All I know is what the dyno HERE told me.

I know I coulda got to 130whp with a little work if what I got would have worked properly, but thats a whole mess I'm not going into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:30 pm 

Quote:
I haven't taken the car to the track myself, nor do I know exactly what the guy who owned it before me did to the car completely. He did show me a slip of 15.3 and said it was for the swift but I donna for a fact.

All I know is what the dyno HERE told me.

I know I coulda got to 130whp with a little work if what I got would have worked properly, but thats a whole mess I'm not going into.

The shaved/skimmed head gives you a little more compression than stock, the wires dont give much power they are more for fuel effencientcy, the headers of suzukird i have them my self you feel the car pull better above the 3000 rpm range, the exhaust 2inches is fine.. maybe your car isn't breating good, so you might want to check the intake part, the underdrive pulley of suzuki rd also gives you power over the whole rpm range, less weight on your crank so it has to work less hard, suzuki alternators are very easy over worked and chances of burning the electonical parts are common because the engine is a high rev engine, smaller pulley so less stress on your alternator, it could be that you either dont have enough back pressure or the exhaust ports are limiting your exhasut gas flow. but to be realistic a stock swift doesn't run 15,3 sec my swift ran stock 16,6 sec that is what the folder also says.. but it all depends on what your goal is with your swift and once you know that you can make your plan from that point on, megasquirt is a engine management system needed if you want to fine tune or if your going ITB's because the stock ecu is not progammed for ITB's.. the stock ecu can handle a turbo setup with 12 psi boost, but you have to make sure it gets the right ammount of fuel, so what is your goal?? NA or turbo??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:37 pm 

I thought this thread was about a 4g63 engine swap into a suzuki? I have a swift gt and an eagle talon, so naturally the idea has crossed my mind a hundred times. First thing i should say is although the talon is faster in stock form than a slightly modded swift gt, the Gt is a hell of a lot more fun to drive. And i will never do any mods to my gt cause it's an absolute blast to drive and i don't want to sacrifice any reliability to it.

I for one, think that 500 hp or so with all wheel drive in a 2000 lb or less car would be the ultimate street machine. There is absolutely nothing out there that could even compete with that on the street. Unless the guy you pull up next to has a bugatti veyron. As far as reliability goes, who cares? If you want reliability keep the g10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:39 pm 

Right now I have a stock 4G63 turbo engine sitting in my garage and a 94 Metro, hmmm?
I think to even make it come close to fitting would require massive fabrication and re-engineering. The metro would need to become a wide-body. Maybe if I had like $20,000 and 5 years to accomplish it ! LOL
2WD would be easiest with an LSD and the AWD jackshaft and a JDM trans. It would be cramped to say the least! Then you'd need a large DSM radiator and fans to keep it cool. A lot of work, but definetly unique.
Then you have to remember the added weight of the cast-iron block.

93 Metro 4 door 1.0-parted out
94 Metro 3 cyl 5 spd- $700 ricecar
95 Metro 3 cyl 5spd- sold
93 GSX-R 1000 engine/trans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:28 pm 

How many of you have ever owned a DSM? How many people on the internet speak from REAL knowledge, and not just what they have heard. There is a big difference between fact, and opinion, however many MANY people seem to like to treat their opinions as fact.
Fact: I own and drive a 95 DSM eclipse AWD TURBO.
Fact: Its f@#king fast.
Fact: I have put about 500$ in MAINTENANCE parts in it over TWO YEARS.
Fact: Im selling it and buying a 550 horsepower (to the WHEELS see Vishnu) EVO VIII, because its not worth putting 20K in my eclipse to get the same results.
Fact: AWD drivetrain has more parts to break, and is designed such to prevent abuse and breakage. If you beat it needlessly, it will break. As an ASE certified master tech, I will tell you that is universal, whether it is a 4x4, race car, or a commuter.
Fact: There are some minor shortcommings in the factory design of the DSM, and if not addressed before abuse you will regret it.
Opinion: stuffing a very large and heavy AWD DSM drivetrain in a Swift is WAY more work than it is worth. I have seen some BUILT colt hatchbacks with the 4g63T in it, and is MUCH easier to do.
Fact: DSMs get bashed for not being reliable, mostly due to the run of bad cranks and the resulting crankwalk issue in the 2g
Opinion: If I wanted BIG power out of a swift, I would build a turbo'd 2.0
Fact: I am putting a 2.0 from a vitara/tracker in my 88.5 Samurai.

You make take this information and do what you wish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:53 pm 

Well 2 years have passed since i first got the idea right here to build an awd colt. Don't know who to thank for the idea, not that it matters cause they probably will never read this. And i doubt anyone here cares, anyway. It's not a suzuki. But we're splitting hairs here. It's a sleeper, just like a swift gt. Only the colt does it better. The colt is much much uglier and faster. Had her on the road for almost a year now. Everyone who's driven it has literally soiled them selves it is that fast. http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... a&start=45