TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 pm 

well the swap is finally done. i did a 89 gt into a 92 1.3 sohc. i did not change all the wires but rather spliced the gt engine harness into the existing wires, and it wasn't all that complicated.

this was the first swap i have done, and did it all by myself with a little help from the guys on the forum.

i picked up the engine off of ebay for 350 usd and sent everything to the machine shop to be cleaned and had them assemble the rotating assemblies. it was bored 20 over, new pistons, bearings, seals and gaskets.

it would have definitely helped to have some extra hands or at least a stand and hoist. the block was somewhat of a pain to put in by myself.
same with the tranny, took a little struggling and some cursing but it finally lined up and went in just fine.

the sohc fuel pump works with the gt, as far as i can tell. right now there are only 20 miles on the engine and i am taking it rather easy until it gets broken in.

believe it or not the ecu that came with the engine is for a at and the motor fired up on the first try. it idles fine but driving it is a different story. without the ecu getting input from the tcu it drives rather funky but drives none the less. so if anyone has a 89-94 gt ecu mt lemme know.

right now it fells like the car has less power than the previous engine did but again thats the damn at ecu, or at least that better be the cause of it.

i plan on writing up another thread on exaclty how i did it all, but right now i'm at work and time is limited. just wanted to tell everyone the good news.

thanks to all who helped answer my questions. :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:03 pm 

congrats. fill your album up with pics! :)

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:36 am 

yep. definitely need some pictures. hopefully soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:55 am 

update on the swap. i've put a little more than 700 miles on the swap, and it seems to be doing pretty good. i had a small exhaust leak on the manifold and the dizzy is leaking a little oil, and i'ts been running kind of rich, but so far no major problems.

right now it's a little slower than what i thoght it would be. power picks up i little around 4-5k rpm's and pulls good to redline. i'm still using the non gt tranny though, so i guess that could be part of the problem. once the car gets going it seems to be pretty good.

another thing i noticed is the clucth seems real soft, not much resistance at all. it engages and disengages fine no slipping or grinding just weak feeling.

i was playing around with the timing and when i hooked the light up noticed there seemed to be a lot of play in the crank pulley where the mark is, like it was moving around a lot.

overall i am quite pleased. next on the list is more power, brake overhaul, and definitely suspension work. 250k miles on the suspension has taken it's toll.

pictures soon to be added hopefully this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:23 pm 

be sure to do that write up of what wires u spliced and such, cause i have been pondering do this swap also, and the only thing really holding me back in the wiring.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:53 pm 

pics have been added to my album, although they are not as good as i had hoped for. something about the files being to large. so i had to chop everything up. once i figure out how to do it right there will be a ton more.

as for the in depth write up it will be here shortly.

some info is in the mk2 - mk3 wiring in this section of the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:22 pm 

more pics added to my album. check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:46 am 

I See you are using the SOHC coil, get rid of it. Use a proper GT electric coil, with out it the car won't run right. I once used a performance oil filled coil and the car ran like crap. If u can't find a GT coil you can use a coil from a 1990- 1994 chrysler car with a 3l mistubishi motor is almost identical and works well .

Turbo lag? huh? nah! just traction lag :censor: :furious:

psssshh! don't tell anyone :ez_evil:

BTW GTi = Great Tiny Import :P

Image, Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:02 am 

interesting. i am thinking of getting a msd blaster coil from suzukird, will that be fine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:21 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

It'll work great. I run a Blaster SS in mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:23 pm 

The TCU only receives signals from the ECU. It doesn't send any, so don't point the finger at the ECU just yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:48 pm 

turns out the ecu was fine. i got a manual trans one and it ran the same way. so an auto ecu will work in a manual trans just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:25 pm 

tetsuoironman wrote:
turns out the ecu was fine. i got a manual trans one and it ran the same way. so an auto ecu will work in a manual trans just fine.

so does this mean you can run an auto tranny with a manual ecm/ecu if your still running the auto transmission control box?

would love to know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the manual and automatic gt ecus have slightly different mapping. you can confirm this by looking at the device designation on the eprom. if you plan on installing a socket and chip, the automatic ecu is no different from the manual one except for the chip that will get replaced anyway.

i sent an automatic eprom to adam willems some time ago and he was going to extract the code for examination.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:43 am 

awesome t3,

Thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:35 pm 

That's interesting, so if I have an auto ECU and do a manual swap, I can just socket the PCB and install an aftermarket 5-speed chip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:52 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i've done auto to manual gt swaps where i just used the auto ecu without any trouble. in essence, yes, that's the deal. if you socket an auto ecu and install a chip, it will no longer be mapped as an automatic ecu.

conversely, you can chip the ecu in an automatic and it will still retain all the automatic functions, it'll just run differently. all the tranny operations are based on commands from the atcu. the atcu gets it's rpm info from the tach signal at the input to the ecu. it also takes data from the vss on the transmission. other controls on the automatic are mechanical - a wire on the throttle cable, the cable from the console shifter, and hydraulic pressure from the pump body.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:45 pm 

ok, so what my plans are for now are run the DOHC gt motor on the sohc auto tranny, if i swap the gt ecu/ecm into the car i can drive it with the auto tranny with out the upgraded chip?

dont feel like doing the whole pedal swap, shifter etc...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:54 pm 

it is time for an update.

the motor has been in the car for over 3 years now.

i have fixed any issues that i had. the car runs great.

i have created some new isues but i have increased the output and general performance :D :D

if you have a metro or sohc swift, do this swap.
the flipside is, you always want more,, more ,, more :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: