TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:51 am 

Hey everyone, I am new onto this forum, owned my car for a couple of years now and I just love it, the sound of it screaming out down the road just fills me alive, I love how different this car is and I am doing a swap of the G10t motor into it and making a beast out of her. I have planned on building up the motor to handle 22-psi and eat people alive who under-estimate my car. I have a deep desire to build up this car because it's different, no matter how many times my friends or co-workers have told me "Get a honda" or "you're gonna be disapointed" i know I am gonna love this car once I am done with it. Plans are as follows Stage 1. Get the G10t swap in with the G10t built up to handle up to 22-psi or better. I will have the car running on 12 to 14 psi though because of the ECU having problems with over 15 psi. Stage 2 (sometime next year) get a standalone or piggy back eprom or other part on the ECU so it won't freak out at 22 psi and get it tuned. Other mods I am looking into is a body kit, possible performance Cam, Boost controller, HKS super sequential, guages, so on, I think you get the point. Ideas or other information welcome to help me out, I am not mechanically inclined, but I am a dreamer and I love the Metro/Swift's and all alikes.

Last edited by guppy80 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:32 am 

If anyone can tell me the G10 to G10t wiring changes that would help me a lot, along with any other info about the G10t engine. Pic's of my car coming, and planning on taking pictures of the new engine once I order it this upcoming tuesday and get it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:03 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

Well, the G10 and G10t are almost completely different wiring harnesses. Not to mention VERYYY different from the MK4 you have as your icon there(assuming that's what you're dropping it into). It'll require a bit of ingenuity, and ability to read wiring diagrams, but it can be done. To be honest, if you're embarking that that kinda journey, go with a DOHC swap. It's about the same amount of work, and you'll have a LOT more potential. Not to mention they're way easier to find parts for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:19 pm 

I was origonaly going with the G13b swap into my metro (and yes, the icon is my car) but the G13b (and all required parts for the swap) is near impossible to find for me, spent almost a year trying to get the G13b swap to fall through, never could get it, so I figured I would go with a stock Turbo engine the G10t and build that up into a monster, only thing now is time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:24 pm 

That's also another thing i need is the wiring diagram from the G10 (MK4) to the G10t (MK2), haven't been able to find it though, so there's another notch on what I need help on, lol. Course I have confidence in the person who's doing the swap and engine work for me, I am just trying to do my part and help him out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:37 am 

I need to know, once I get the G10t engine in, is it worth it to slap on a AEM Stage 2 to Stage 5 reduced weight clutch and flywheel kit? would it make a good enough difference in the engine? Just something I have been muddling over if it'd be worth it, and if it is, which stage should I go with, 2, 3, 4, or 5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:41 pm 
Suzuki Elder

just lighten the stock flywheel to 9.5 lbs. and have it zero balanced. that'll run about $100. just use a clutch for a gt and you'll be fine. throttle response will improve by peeling 2 pounds off the stock flywheel.

the mk4 car is heavier so the increased torque from a turbo3 will be useful but don't expect super performance (like winning drag races) from it.

if you want a twincam swap kit, i have everything except axles. pm me if you're interested.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:44 am 

I would, but I have everything for the G10t already worked out and the motor on order, I plan on doing heavy mods to the G10t to really pull some potential out of it, plus, if i did the G13b swap, I wouldn't have the money for a long time to fix up the engine or add a turbo kit to it, over all for now, the G10t is just a better answer for me at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:32 pm 

*update* Just yesterday (Saturday) I began giving my car a new paintjob, full G10t wiring package is on order and schedualed to be mailed out on monday, a new tach cluster is on order off of ebay and should be mailed out soon, as for the motor it will be paid off this tuesday and mailed out. For those of you you looking for good prices on new/refurbished/rebuilt engines "WITH WARENTIES" (G10, G10t, G13A, G13B) Check World Auto Parts in google. I think they might even have G13b cores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:33 pm 

I will post pics soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:03 am 

*update* Putting the G10t motor on order today, and still working on getting the digital camera back from my brother-in-law, lol, anyways, as soon as I get that I will be taking photos and video updates of both the engine work and paint job going into the car. The full wiring harness setup is in the mail and sent as of the 22nd courtesy of hillbillyswift (THANK YOU) ending a long search for such a setup for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:11 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

:yeahyeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:20 pm 

Just wondering, I am try more for torque, but I am open to ideas with this, but should I stick with the N/A 3cyl 5spd trans, or go with the GTi trans 5spd, or one of the other transes(not sure how many there are).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:21 am 

*update* Project has hit a hard wall, the loan from citi financial got f-ed up by them "assuming" what we wanted the loan for even after we told them it was for a personal loan for the car, anyways, long story short, project will be back on a roll as soon as I can gather together $1,100 for the G10t motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:48 pm 

*update* Full wiring setup just recieved today thanks to Hillbillyswift, everything looks great! Still working out the details on getting the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:38 pm 

Looking into investing in a good fuel pump fo rmy motor swap, what suggested fuel pumps can I use that wouldn't let me lean out in high rpm's on the top end? And am I able to use any fuel pump as long as it comes as a package? Not sure how this all works, need some feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:42 am 

*update* should have pics soon, been hassling my brother-in-law for the dang camera, anyways, just a little update on how much I am planning on going into this car, but for the most part it's on a heavy hold till income tax return next year where I was going over with my wife on just how much we're going to spend on this little car into making something special, turns out she wants to (and encouraged me/twisted my arm wanting me to do it all at once instead of little by little) of dropping $7,000 USD into the car next year from income tax returns (pays having kids in a way I guess :lol: ) Anyways, that's all pretty much going into engine (fully built over G10t/Programming) and Exterior body kit (if I can find one), HKS Super sequential, Boost Controler, Stage 2 or 3 Flywheel and clutch kit, fully redone and apohlstered interior. I think that about sums it all up, once I get up some better exterior and interior pics of the car I would love to get some feed back on what to go with on body kit wise and redoing the interior. All Ideas welcome =3 oh yea, and I am probably going to have to redo the suspension on the car, all them offroad furry trips took their toll on the suspension, 15's in the back keep smacking up against the wheel well, lol, so just another thing on my list, any opinions? Drop it and stiffen the suspension??? Lay some ideas on me. =3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:35 am 

Here's a pic of the new cluster i have coming in, hope it works, needs a little cleaning up and TLC done to it so it looks nice, but that'll be once I get it in my hands, this pic is from the seller on ebay.

Attachments:
a6d0_1_b.JPG
a6d0_1_b.JPG [ 25.22 KIB | Viewed 1027 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the speedo is gonna' be way off - way, way off. :-P

it also has a missing mounting tab on the right, bottom side and looks like the snap tabs that hold the clear lens on are gone. another thing, the lens from a non-tach cluster is different from the one for the tach cluster.

be sure to check your gas and temp positions on your existing cluster then pull the needles on the new cluster and mount them in the right positions with the key on and the cluster plugged in. same goes for the tach. turn the key on and set the zero point with the engine off.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:15 pm 

so this cluster isn't going to work with my metro, the clusters are shaped the same, and the gas and temp gauges are in the same places. So what're my options with this cluster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:33 pm 

That's a 4cyl tach. You need an MK3 or MK4 3cyl tach cluster. Also your speedo will be way off with that tach. Just use your stock cluster and add an aftermarket tach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:35 pm 

wish I knew how to do that myself, and the cluster is from an MK4 3-cyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:22 pm 

Check the sticky in the Norh American MK4/5 section about adding the tach yourself to the MK4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:04 am 

**HELP** I just installed the new cluster yesterday, bit of a tight squeese and I am in some serious need of help, everything is working, tach included, but the speed and odometer isn't working at all, when installin gthe new cluster there was very little play with the speed cable and I am wondering if it's too tight will it not work correctly? there is a possability it could be pinched too, is there any options on getting more length on the cable? Like an extension add on cable or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:23 pm 

**Update** problem solved, went out and took it all apart again, needed to fix the tach needle and steering wheel alignment anyways, and it turns out i made a uuber rookie move, aparently in my late night frustration and the coming darkness I didn't give the speed cable a hard enough push to completely connect it into the back of the new cluster, well everything works like a charm and has a full black faceing on it, nice and clean looking. Will post pics asap.