TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Billowing White Smoke
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:24 am 

97 GEO Metro, 1.3 L G13, Manual Tranny
I've had the short block rebuilt and purchased a rebuilt head. I've got it all back together and it starts up without any problems. When accelerating it billows white smoke. Last weekend took a stab that it might be the head gasket, so I pulled the head and replace that. No change.

Since it "seems" to happen when accelerating I'm looking at the throttle body. It almost seems like I might have a vacuum and coolant line swapped, but don't know.

Anyone experienced anything similar or have any other thoughts.

Thanks

Vango
:?:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:12 am 

see if the PCV valve spring valve rattles when shook. another test is while at idle remove PCV valve from crankcase while attached to vacuum hose. if it sucks on your finger then its working.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 am 

Hi
My son's van blew a head gasket and after replacing it the van had a lot of white smoke because antifreeze got down the exhaust system.
Al

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:50 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

My buddy's 97' SOHC did the same thing after replacing his headgasket. We let it smoke for a couple days, and it all went away. Keep an eye on the coolant level. It's probably like ahutson98 said, coolant still in the exhaust.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:48 am 

I thought the smoking would stop on my girls Golf GTI (with rebuilt engine and another new head gasket). She drove it for a couple of days, blowing white smoke under hard acceleration and all gearchanges. It didn't stop smoking, I ended up tearing it apart again and found a tiny little tear in the third cylinder, so said goodbye to the block and put the head on another engine... which blew me another head gasket and then I sold the whole damn car in little bits.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 pm 

All,

An update on my situation. After some troubleshooting I found a couple issues. 1. A faulty touque wrench. The head was not tightened properly. 2. The coolant was not circulating completely. Temp guage was reading good, but I had water boiling out of the radiator. Also, the top radiator hose was not hot. Did some reading and the instructions on placing the thermostat with the vent hole up caught my eye. I had installed a new thermostat, which didn't have a vent hole. I suspect that because of this I had a large air bubble trapped in the system that prevented the coolant from circulating properly.

Now the odd part. Initially the number one cylinder was burning the water. We confirmed this by pulling the plugs and only number one had steam coming out. This evening we replaced the head gasket and reseated the thermostat with a vent hole. This time the number four cylinder is burning the water.

The book has the head torqued at 54 foot pounds. I've check and double check and thats what I have. Since the cylinder that is burning the water has changed I think I can rule out any issued with either the block or head.

Do I'm I snake bitten twice and the third head gasket will be the charm, or ?? Has any one some thoughts on this before I buy another gasket and tear the head off again?

Thanks,
VANGO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:20 am 
Sad but True...

have the head and maybe the block resurfaced if you can