TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 am 

My ’91 Geo Metro, 2 door w/ automatic has 150K on the clock, won’t start below 32F, uses a quart of oil every 100 mi, dry compression at ~75 (still gets 38MPG), but has good body & great undercarriage. Worth keeping! Recently acquired a ’99 1.0 & 5-spd, w/ 40K on it, along w/ ECU & engine comp harness for the swap. Also have pedals & shifter mechanism, etc.; understand automatic lockout and clutch safety issues (thanks to posts here). I’d like to use the newer ECU. Have the ’91 factory manual, but just the engine wiring diag. for the ’99. Expect to rewire to use existing MIL lamp and should be able to add ’99 OBDII connector somewhere. Obviously cam & crank sensors are a non-issue (I got ‘em in ‘99).

Trying to anticipate problems ahead: probably use a simulator for the 2nd O2 input. Any thoughts on how to handle fuel tank pressure inputs to ECU? Maybe add a newer sensor/fuel pump to the old tank? VSS input on ’91 is a simple pulsing reed switch from instrument cluster, is ’99 ECU expecting same? What else have I overlooked??

Not completely opposed to new rings & brgs in the old ’91 motor or even the simple long block swap, but havin’ got a ’99 ECU & harness leads me in that direction. Probably add Singh grooves & set advance at 10°.
What do you folks think?? I’m been very impressed with TeamSwift knowledgebase.

'99 Cavalier Z24 A/T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 am 

Anyone know where that fuel tank pressure switch is located & how it operates? In engine compartment or at tank? Uses engine vacuum to check for leaks?

'99 Cavalier Z24 A/T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:37 am 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

Why don't you just swap the intake from the old engine onto the new engine, swap the coolant sensors, and distributor. Then, use the electronics you have, and call it a day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:17 am 

As mentioned: "....not completely opposed to new rings & brgs in the old ’91 motor or even the simple long block swap...."

Thnx for that insight, Geo. That's what I was hoping for from you guys. I was beginning to feel that messing w/ the new ECU might not be worth the extra effort, things like the 2nd O2 sensor, fuel tank pressure issues, VSS input, Idle-up sig, etc.

'99 Cavalier Z24 A/T