TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:32 pm 

What would be my best choice to replace a 1.0L i3 in my '93 Geo Metro Lsi Convertible?
Need more power! Should I swap engine or can I get enough out of this one to make it worth upgrading? Not trying to race...hmmmm.... well.... no, just need to be quick and able to cruise at at least 80mph. (many states have 75mph speed limits)
My budget for this would be around $1000 including labor. Engine, tranny, clutch.
Also need someone to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:18 am 

Quote:
Need more power! Should I swap engine or can I get enough out of this one to make it worth upgrading? Not trying to race...hmmmm.... well.... no, just need to be quick and able to cruise at at least 80mph. (many states have 75mph speed limits)

Welcome to the forum, LorenWho!
Do a compression check to see if you have low compression. Plugs out, Disconnect coil wire, Wide open throttle, 5 seconds.
Someone to do it is not so hard... You could do it yourself with some basic tools.
First would be replace the spare tire with a can of fix-a-flat. Loose weight elsewhere also. Second would be a tune up. Plugs, plug wires, Dist. cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter. Seafoam for $10. http://geometroforum.com/topic/681815/1/
My biggest increase came with the 3Tech 218/350 cam and cam gear and +10 degree cam sprocket ($175). I gained power virtually everywhere but it doesn't seem to like 2K or less rpm. :yeahyeah The engine idles rougher, however. Visit: http://geometroforum.com/pages/3tech I lost 2-3 mpg. The "econo" cam gives you more low end torque and better gas mileage- lower shift points.
Get the SuzukiRD.com under pulley and install it when you do the cam ($79) http://suzukird1.netfirms.com/62pro/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=128

You may need to have it rebuilt if the compression is bad. Parts Dinosaur parts: http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page17.html3Tech can do the head for about $500. I spent that on an eBay engine and installed it myself 2 years ago and I had to pay sales tax. :furious: I know $1000 is a lot but prices are going up. :evil:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:01 am 

Thanks for the great advice.. got it running today... lots of the parts you mentioned, plugs wires, filters, etc are new... WOW. I'm impressed! Much quicker than I expected for a 1 liter 3 cylinder.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:37 am 

Wahoo! :cheers:
You are welcome. So, it was a tune up, eh. Congrats.

You might consider advancing you timing. :huh: Your Factory setting is 5 Degrees Before Top Dead Center. It might appreciate 6-8 BTDC for better burn, cleaner combustion and more power. To do it by ear; car running, standing at the left wheel, loosen the Distributor and turn it clockwise a little. Those experts with good ears say turn until the engine knocks then counter clockwise until it stops. A little is good more is not necessarily better. If you don't have a timing light; Harbor Freight $15: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3343 and their digital multimeter's are $5 now, +shipping.

Your timing belt may be stretched and need tightening or replacing. You can peal back the cover and press on the belt to see if it deflects more than 1/2". If you decide to change the belt consider spending about $200 for an "econo" cam and +10 cam gear from 3Tach and do it all in one afternoon. Extra power and maybe up to 6 more mpg. :D The aluminum pulley is a 5-6 bolt pulley and you loosen the alternator belt. It's just awkward to get to (remove wheel) and use blue thread seal reinstalling. Take care....

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:27 pm 

The main problem was the starter. It died while sitting for 6 months. Replaced it and battery. All the other parts were installed just before it was parked. Haven't done anything else yet.
Big Problem. She has no lights. No turn signals, brakes, headlights, nothing. I'm assuming there is a common relay or fuse for them. Need to get a manual
Suggestions?

Cost of project BUMBL B so far:

Car...................................$400
Tow..................................$50
Starter..............................$89
Labor................................$30
Battery..............................FREE (still under warranty)
Smile on my face..................priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:26 pm 

Try replacing the fuses in the engine bay next to the battery, left side. Might want to simply remove everything and clean it. Check each fuse under the dash, drivers side, left foot.
My '91 came with a Chilton manual for $300. It has errors but so does the Hanes. :huh: And then there's http://swift.hit.bg/3EN.html.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:58 pm 

BadBent wrote:
Wahoo! If you decide to change the belt consider spending about $200 for an "econo" cam and +10 cam gear from 3Tach and do it all in one afternoon. Extra power and maybe up to 6 more mpg. :D The aluminum pulley is a 5-6 bolt pulley and you loosen the alternator belt. It's just awkward to get to (remove wheel) and use blue thread seal reinstalling. Take care....

Laurenwho,
if you're interest in this as BadBent suggests, I have an econocam with +8deg cam gear from 3Tech that has 20000kms on it. I swapped a turbo motor into my vert and no longer need it if you're interested. It definetly shifts the power band down and makes the car more torquey. For my car, it increased my gas mileage by 4-5mpg. Then I took the performance road :D ...

91' Firefly Turbo Convertible -> '90 G10T Swap, +6 Timing Sprocket, Stock Turbo, intercooler & 198/330 Cam, NGK V-power's, 7mm wires, Boost Gauge, Manual Boost Controller set to 9psi, Mobil 1 & GM Synchromesh, Short Shifter, K&N + removed resonator, Gutted Pre-cat, 2" Exhaust, High Flow Cat & Muffler, Front sway bar, Front underbody Brace, 185/65R14's on Steelies..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:55 pm 

I completed a 1.3 SOHC swap into my Vert over the winter and spring. It wasn't that difficult and there is only 1 engine mount (transmission side) that needs to be repositioned forward. The difference between 3 and 4 cylinders is very noticeable.

I picked up a 92 Swift Sedan with a rebuilt engine (5,000kms on it) for $175.00 and swapped the electricals over including the front wiring clip. The worst part of the job was pulling out the dash and then putting it back in. I opted to keep the Vert transmission in play and this makes for a very perky launch from the lights. The sedan tranny would have been the better choice maybe but I like the perkiness the 4:39 gives.So if you are on a budget this may be a way to go. :D :D :shock: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:15 pm 

All lights are now working. What I thought was one common problem turned out to be several small ones.
Next problem... fixing drivers door. it won't open. something broke loose inside, and the inside handle is broken. Luckily it's easy to step inside.
I've decided against the engine swap, for now. It runs great and has had some upgrades done already. I'll worry about more power later.