TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:06 pm 

Hello, I put in new cam, with the stock cam gear with original timing marks on wifes turbo vert with rebuilt head. Checked compression; 75 psi dry, 75psi wet. leads me back to head. I have no degree wheel,so how would I time roughly to see if its valves. It runs idling at 900 rpm at center of dizzy bracket. It will advance and revs way past the stock bracket setting. Am I a tooth out? Gas milage is 35MPG at this setting (not 50 like original G10 motor). Pulls good at 1,2,3,looses at 4,5. This car is not driven past 4000 rpm. Should I go back to stock cam? It is wifes daily,economy with bottom end preferred. Is stock turbo cam and G10 Na the same? If not how do you tell which? Tires are 185/60 14 michellins. econo cam is out I read. Which cam sprocket recommended . Help if you can.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:35 pm 

The point is, if I have valve overlap with this cam, would it lower my compression? What is the compression of a turbo engine with it's dished pistons?The compression readings were made dry, then oiled and retried, no difference.The oil in the cylinder should have raised the compression ratio if the rings were bad,it didn't.the head is rebuilt the valves would be seated.where is my compression going?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:39 pm 

Did you check compression with the throttle open all the way?
If not, this would account for your low readings.

How does the car drive, and what is the power like?

I never recommend any of my performance cams with the stock sprocket. You should be using a +10.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:47 pm 

It runs idling at 900 rpm at center of dizzy bracket. It will advance and revs way past the stock bracket setting. Am I a tooth out? Gas milage is 35MPG at this setting (not 50 like original G10 motor). Pulls good at 1,2,3,looses at 4,5. So it's drivable ,but am I getting the max out of it? What is +10, is that 1 tooth on the cam gear.I see some with +8,+6.You recomend +10 for this settup for the expected results? I checked compression with throttle wide open. I compared with my G10 NA and got 175 psi across the board so it's not the guage.Your saying it has nothing to do with valve overlap?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:53 pm 

Read 1 tooth is 18 degrees. this is the cam 'maybe I'm off the wall with description.
(superfly quote)Thats a 222/365, or 226/375
I only do that mod for those 2 grinds.
I don't know why it would be a 218/350, or why you would have that paperwork though.
Either way, it's a good deal, and somebody will be happy with it.
Attachment:
cam.jpg [41.99 KIB]
Downloaded 878 times

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:33 am 

Repeating the original post doesn't help me understand what is going on.

This makes no sense.
Quote:
It will advance and revs way past the stock bracket setting

If you haven't been fowling plugs, it is definitely a 222/365, and needs a +10 sprocket, otherwise it will feel lazy.

The low compression reading has nothing to do with the cam.
Try advancing it one tooth, and running it there. It can't hurt anything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:43 am 

Ok. it is definitely not working as good as it should. No fouling . I just wasn't sure which cam gear to go to. If you say +10 then send me one and I'll go from there. I'll pm adress etc. and paypal. I was thinking that any valve overlap might reduce compression. It's interesting that all cylinders register the same numbers. So after installing cam gear is the timing setting at +10 ATDC with a timing light?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:49 pm 

I think you have something wrong on your cam timing if you get 10 deg, ATDC, it should be BTDC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:39 pm 

I'm not trying to be dyslectic, Just trying to figure out where timing should be set if adding a +10 degree cam gear.Is it at the original marks and let the gear do the advance? your'e right though it would be a little sluggish at 10 after TDC.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:14 am 

you advance the cam timing with the sprocket, obviously this will have an effect on ignition timing, which needs to be adjusted afterwards.