TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1.3L to 1.0L engine swap
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:39 pm 

Maybe I'm not searching the right way but I do not see any topic about replacing a Metro 1.3L 4cylinder with a Metro 1.0L 3 cylinder. I have a '96 Metro Lsi sedan 5 speed with the 4 cylinder that has a head gasket leak. Since I have to work outside I put head gasket sealant in the radiator hoping it will last till the weather gets warm. I was going to get a 3tech head with an economy grind cam for it but I figured if I was going to go that far I might just as well get a 1.0 3 cylinder and get the 3tech head for that. My goal is better fuel economy and I think the 3 cylinder is the best way to get that. So far here's what I think I need:

- 1996 Metro 1.0 3 cylinder engine
- the 3 cylinder speedometer because the 4 cylinder speedometer will not 'read' the 3 cylinder engine
- the 3 cylinder axles because one of the engine mounts from the 3 cylinder will not fit over the 'straight' part of the 4 cylinder halfshafts. I believe the 3 cylinder engine will fit onto my 4 cylinder tranny.
- the computer for the 3 cylinder engine
- the exhaust pipe for the 3 cylinder because the 3 and 4 cylinder pipes are different
- the wiring harness for the 3 cylinder engine

Things I heard I might need but I'm not sure why:

- 3 cylinder Clutch cable
- 3 cylinder speedometer cable
- I'm not sure if I use the clutch from the 3 cylinder or the 4 cylinder

These are all the things I have found by searching that I think I need to switch the engines. Has anybody done this? Does anybody know of a topic posted about this?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 pm 

personally i cant see you getting better mileage buy putting the 1.0 in a 4door since the smaller engine will need to work alot harder to move the bigger car.

the speedoes are compatible its the tach that wont work right with one less cylinder.
yes you will need the 3cyl axels. the engine and trans sit 3 inchs to the right in the 3cyl
you will also need the 3cyl engine mounts the rear mount will bolt it but the trans frame mount needs to be moved back a bit, the right side frame mount should bolt up.

the speedometer and clutch cables im not sure about.
the clutches are interchangeable, the 4 cyl is bigger but still fits the 1.0 motor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:40 am 

That's interesting, if the 3 cylinder won't get me better mileage then it's not worth the expense and effort. Does anybody else know if it will save gas or not to make this swap?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:44 am 

It will probably save you gas, but not much. The three cylinder was a bit overtaxed in the newer, heavier cars and never performed as well as it did in the GEN2 body. Note that they never put the three cylinder with the automatic after 94, there's a good reason for that.

I had two 3/5's and two 4/5's, all of them hatchbacks. The three cylinders got 43mpg and the four cylinders got 40mpg. That's on my normal city/highway daily mix in a metropolitan area with heavy traffic, stop and go commutes are not unusual. The actual numbers don't matter, that's just my situation, but the difference between the two is the important bit. Add in another 130 pounds for the sedan body and that difference is likely to erode.

I think your best bet is to get a rebuilt head and fix your four cylinder.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 pm 

It will not improve mileage, and if it does it will only be in very long flat driving conditions. The 1.3 with a 5spd is close to the optimum set up for the weight of the sedan style metro. Another point to note is the final drive of the sedan is 3.79, which will tax the 3cyl heavily in that body style.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!