TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 pm 

Greetings:

I'm looking to get a 98 Swift this weekend and it has compression of 90-90-0-120. I assume this is probably going to be burnt valves and/or rings since the engine is currently running on 3 cylinders. It's OBDII with 16v, 2 coils where the distributor would be located, automatic transmission.

I was out in the yard today and found the following possible donor parts:

#1: 1993 Tracker with 1.6L SOHc/16v engine (PSK1.6T5F4V8). Totally complete aside from some idiot broke the front of the crank where the woodruff key sits probably from trying to get the harmonic balancer off.

#2: 1997 Tracker with the remains of the engine in it (block, pistons, crank). It had S31 stamped on the block and the following information from the hood: 16v, 1.6L
(TSK1.61JGHHB). Cylinder head is missing but has the cam and block as noted.

#3: 1997 Geo Metro with 1.3L engine, 8V.

Question is: which parts are interchangeable with the 98 Swift (i.e cams, cranks, etc)? I realize the pistons are different due to the difference in # of valves. I'm wondering if I can switch the broken crank in #1 with the crank from #2 and remove the intake and exhaust manifolds from the engine currently in the Swift and then install them on the engine from #1 once the crank is replaced. Yea, nay? Are the blocks similar enough to have the same oil pans, engine mounts, etc?

My goal is to assemble a complete engine to make reassembly easier (i.e. if I have to rering the pistons, solve any valve issues, install timing belt, etc. outside the car then install the engine and bolt up the existing manifolds).

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to my little project if this is doable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:00 pm 

What are your goals with this car?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:37 pm 

First step is getting the engine running fine and eventually seeking out the best balance of power and economy.

Second goal is to see what I can get from the yard and start working on when I have the time. Like I said right now there are the three vehicles I mentioned (there are two other Geos but one is a 3 cylinder and the other one has it's engine in pieces).

I haven't pulled the engine apart in the one I wish to buy aside from running compression tests as I don't own it yet. The body is in excellent shape overall, good tires, interior (no dashboard cancer), new exhaust, etc. Just the engine runs rough due to one cylinder being dead (very low to no compression).

My ultimate goal is to make a pocket rocket but that's down the road and lots of money away.

The car is able to drive as it is and there's no smoke coming out of the exhaust so I expect the bottom end is *probably* OK.

I have answered my own questions about using the 1.6L block and cranks right now as it looks like it might be more trouble than it's worth at the moment (it looks like the crank won't work in the 1.3L block without major mods).

So, I suppose my question becomes this: can I remove the 16v cylinder head from the 1993 Tracker, rebuilt it, pull the block from the 1997 Geo, rebuilt it, assemble them, and use the exhaust/intake manifolds and the flywheel from the 98 Swift?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:47 pm 

I'm pretty sure that head has the intake ports that are cast to accept the injector in the manifold, so no, I don't think you can use it.
All 1.3 blocks are the same, but there are a lot of variation in the cranks/rods/pistons.

Do some reading, possibly in the Mk5 section, and you'll get an idea what works.
That motor was available from 98-01.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:51 pm 

Well both the 93 Tracker I saw and the 98 Swift I want to buy have EFI with multi-port injection. Would that necessarily make the heads themselves different? The valve cover, location of spark plugs, etc. are identical.

I appreciate the info on the blocks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 pm 

Yes.
It has to do with the mounting of the injectors. I can't remember like I used to, but I'm pretty sure they're different only on the intake port.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:19 pm 

I'm looking at photos through Google now and it looks like some of the G16B heads have raised portions like you mention where the injector mounts near the intake manifold gasket. Strange enough, however, several sites that post parts' numbers for the G13B/G16B head show the same Suzuki part number (11110-82607) if they are 16v.

For example:

NTK102 SUZUKI G13B/16B(16V) 11110-82607

but

NTK104 SUZUKI G16B (INJECTION)(16V) 11110-57802

This one shows the same part number as the first one:

http://www.alibaba.com/product/amyx-114 ... _Head.html

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go back to the yard, thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am 

some 16V (older models) had the injector bosses in the manifold, others have them in the head. anyways, you'd need to find another auto tranny to mate to your new 1.6L engine because they have different bell housings. that means finding another drive plate because the 1.3 drive plate will be too small for the 1.6 tranny. A lot of troubles for not much improvement.